Hercules Game Theater XP: A Waste?

G

Alright where to start. About 2 months ago I purchased a Cambridge Soundworks FPS 2000 Digital speaker system from ye olde local Wal-Mart, and when I got them home and started to install them, I realized my sound card didn't support 4 speakers. So, after doing some reasearch, I was almost sold on a SoundBlaster Live! Platinum 5.1. However, right before I bought it a friend told me about the Hercules Game Theater XP. Well, I almost completely dismissed the idea until I realized that in order to use the LiveDrive! that comes bundled with the SoundBlaster I would need a new case. So, to try to save myself some expense, I opted for the XP (has an external box in case you didn't know).

Anyway, it seemed to all work out fine until I tried using my DVD-ROM drive. At first I didn't notice anything, but during quiet scenes on movies, I noticed a slight noise in the background, almost like static. A friend told me that it could be the watermarking on the DVD (which you aren't supposed to be able to hear unless copied [no it wasn't a copied DVD :)]). Another person told me it's due to me not being able to use the Digital DIN on my FPS 2k.

The reason I cannot use it is because on the speakers it uses a 9-pin S-Video-like cable and the Digital outputs on my XP are only Coaxial and Optical.

Therefore, I come to a decision. I feel I must either find a way to sell my speakers and find a better set that is digitally-compatible with my sound card or sell my XP and get a SB Live! Plat. 5.1. However, the latter would still require me to get a new case.

So, finally, to get to the real question at hand: is the Hercules Game Theater XP completely useless with my speakers, or can I buy some sort of Digital DIN adapter that will work with my sound card? Or is there some other reason for the noise in the DVD background (really JUST a watermark) that I am not aware of? If any of this is incoherent (and it probably is since it's 3 AM), then just ask me what I meant and I'll try to explain. Please help and hopefully save me some money! :) Thanks.

Asmodakan

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Also, just to let you know, Cambridge is owned by Creative Labs and they are made for the SB Live line of cards.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I own a Hercules Game Theater XP and it gives me MUCH better sound than my old creative sblive value. I rigged two sets of speakers for 4.1 channel sound and its awesome.
I would recomend you download the newest drives for your card off the net, it might solve your sound problem.
Also I've never heard of a 9 pin s-video like cable to transfer audio, and I've seen Sblive platinum cards and they do not have plugs like this so there has to be some kind of adaptor. I suggest you call Cambridge and ask them about an adaptor then you'll know for sure

G

I think this is for the Remote Volume Control/Box, not the actual signals.

TL