Which camera to buy? (small, quick, zoom, quality)

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 19, 2005 12:55:17 AM

Yes, I want it all !!! is it possible - this is my real question I
guess...
I need a small camera that will fit in my bag. i currently have Canon
A75 and find it a very good size. I like its manual settings (TV) and
AA battaries but it broke and I also need a bit more zoom power and a
shorter shooting lag.

* Budget - anything reasonable (<$500)
* Size - compact, Canon A series size
* Features - shutter speed priority, video, flash disabling
* megapixels 4-5
* optical zoom - 4 is minimum, 5-6 is better (i know that anything
beyind that point will no longer be compact)
* importance of image quality (1-10) - 9
* manual controls - shutter speed control, flash disabling
* big prints - no
* indoor or low light photos - yes I very rarely use my flash (except
for filling flash), low light handling is very important.
* Models I have been looking at: Sony P200, Panasonic DMC-LZ2, Canon
A95
* ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT FEATURS: AA Bettries, shutter lag (~1.8 sec),
good quality video

Thanks!!!
Asaf.
July 19, 2005 9:45:39 AM

"Rega Dodli" <regadodli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes, I want it all !!! is it possible - this is my real question I
> guess...
> I need a small camera that will fit in my bag. i currently have Canon
> A75 and find it a very good size. I like its manual settings (TV) and
> AA battaries but it broke and I also need a bit more zoom power and a
> shorter shooting lag.
>

> * Budget - anything reasonable (<$500)
> * Size - compact, Canon A series size
> * Features - shutter speed priority, video, flash disabling
> * megapixels 4-5
> * optical zoom - 4 is minimum, 5-6 is better (i know that anything
> beyind that point will no longer be compact)
> * importance of image quality (1-10) - 9
> * manual controls - shutter speed control, flash disabling
> * big prints - no
> * indoor or low light photos - yes I very rarely use my flash (except
> for filling flash), low light handling is very important.
> * Models I have been looking at: Sony P200, Panasonic DMC-LZ2, Canon
> A95
> * ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT FEATURS: AA Bettries, shutter lag (~1.8 sec),
> good quality video
>
> Thanks!!!
> Asaf.

Have a look at the Fuji Fine Pix F10
Blair
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 8:41:56 PM

> Have a look at the Fuji Fine Pix F10
> Blair

I think the OP said he wanted more than 3x zoom.
July 20, 2005 1:49:11 AM

Rega Dodli wrote:
> Yes, I want [a small, quick, zoom, quality camera] all !!! is it
> possible - this is my real question I guess...
> ....<snip list of requirements>

Fuji E550 meets all your requirements, bar one.

"Budget - anything reasonable (<$500." Yes
"Size - compact, Canon A series size" Yes
"Features - shutter speed priority, video, flash disabling" Yes
"Megapixels 4-5" 6.3 (12.3 interpolated)
"Optical zoom - 4 is minimum, 5-6 is better" Yes
"Importance of image quality (1-10) - 9" Yes
"Manual controls - shutter speed control, flash disabling" Yes
"Big prints - no" Optional!
ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT FEATURES:
"AA Batteries" Yes
"Shutter lag (~1.8 sec)" Less
"Good quality video" Yes

"Indoor or low light photos - low light handling is very important."
Ah............<Shot down>

http://www.anandtech.com/digitalcameras/showdoc.aspx?i=...
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/finepix_e550-rev...
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilme550/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fuji_e550.h...
Picking just four out of many reviews, all positive.

Also, have a look at this very helpful programme:
http://www.myproductadvisor.com/mpa/camera/inputSummary...

--
Lin Chung
[Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].

Rega Dodli wrote:
> Yes, I want it all !!! is it possible - this is my real question I
> guess...
> I need a small camera that will fit in my bag. i currently have Canon
> A75 and find it a very good size. I like its manual settings (TV) and
> AA battaries but it broke and I also need a bit more zoom power and a
> shorter shooting lag.
>

> * Budget - anything reasonable (<$500)
> * Size - compact, Canon A series size
> * Features - shutter speed priority, video, flash disabling
> * megapixels 4-5
> * optical zoom - 4 is minimum, 5-6 is better (i know that anything
> beyind that point will no longer be compact)
> * importance of image quality (1-10) - 9
> * manual controls - shutter speed control, flash disabling
> * big prints - no
> * indoor or low light photos - yes I very rarely use my flash (except
> for filling flash), low light handling is very important.
> * Models I have been looking at: Sony P200, Panasonic DMC-LZ2, Canon
> A95
> * ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT FEATURS: AA Bettries, shutter lag (~1.8 sec),
> good quality video
>
> Thanks!!!
> Asaf.

Fuji f10. I second that.

Let's see your requirements - you want 4-5 megapixels and the fuji f10
outresolves all the 7mp cameras and most of the 8mp ones according to
dpreview, so that's your zoom requirement (3, 4, 5, 6 zoom is neither
here or there, if you won't zoom with your feet, then crop aftewards,
and the fuji f10's high resolution will give you much to crop). *NO*
other camera under $500 will match or come near the fuji f10 at indoor
or low light photos. It also has a very long battery life, and trust
me, image quality (and the fuji f10 excels at that) is a far important
concern than battery type, so cross that AA batteries requirement off
your list.

Why do you want shutter priority? Most usage that'll come to mind is
avoiding camera shake from when the camera has to use a low shutter
speed in low light situations, but that won't be a concern with the f10
thanks to the superccd sensor. You can also have manual control over
ISO with the fuji f10 so that'll give you an indirect control over
shutter speed.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 7:31:07 PM

Lin Chung wrote:
> Rega Dodli wrote:
> > Yes, I want [a small, quick, zoom, quality camera] all !!! is it
> > possible - this is my real question I guess...
> > ....<snip list of requirements>
> Fuji E550 meets all your requirements, bar one....

This could be right up your street. Just announced today: Panasonic LZ1
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05072003panasonic_lx1...

--
Lin Chung
[Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 12:59:27 AM

Lin Chung wrote:
> This could be right up your street. Just announced today: Panasonic LZ1

Sorry, not LZ1. It's LX1.
I'm not overwhelmed judging from these sample photos from Pansonic Japan:
http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/gallery/models...

--
!