Sign in with
Your question

4.7ghz wall Ivy on Asrock Extreme 7 Gen 3

Last response: in CPUs
September 30, 2012 3:40:34 PM

First, if there's a better forum to post this, please let me know.

I've currently hit a wall overclocking my i7 3770K Ivy Bridge on an Asrock Extreme 7 Gen 3 (Z68). I've stabilized with a 24hr P95 4.7ghz clock @ 1.24 vcore. Max temp is 81C cooled by an H100 in a push/pull config with AP-15 fans.

I'd like to get above 4.7ghz but even when I up the vcore to 1.35 (max I'm willing to go) I get crashes/reboots, etc. Temps aren't a concern even then as OCCT/P95 will run for about 20 mins or so and max temp is 84C. (It's my understanding that IB runs hotter than SB and thus 84C is toward the tops instead of over the top like SB).

I'd love to get a stable 4.8/4.9ghz 24/7 clock.

Any advice?
September 30, 2012 3:44:49 PM

I am really not an expert and you clearly know more than I do, but from reading about the general view is that a proper water-cooling system will do much better than the H100, as good as it is. Saying that, I dont know how high people have pushed the I7 IB's, but im guessing people have gone passed 5 ghz on a proper water system.

just my thoughts
m
l
September 30, 2012 3:58:31 PM

That's a very good overclock. I know that with the 3570k a lot of people report their wall at 4.5 and the 3770k isn't really known to go much further than that as it's essentially a 3570k with hyperthreading. Ivy bridge does run warmer than sandy but 84 is still getting up there. Reducing your temperature might result in more headroom but I'd be more than happy with 4.7. Also, how is your motherboard temperature? Those all in one liquid coolers don't do a whole lot for keeping your VRMs cool..
m
l
Related resources
a c 80 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2012 4:04:11 PM

I'd call it quits there too.

Have a chat with these guys, someone might have some ideas, but there are not too many levers to pull really. http://www.overclock.net/t/1247413/ivy-bridge-overclock...

I'm not sure that better water would help, as getting the heat out of the core is the problem, sub ambient is next, so peltiers on the rads? Going a bit far for another 0.1-0.2
m
l
a c 334 à CPUs
a c 127 K Overclocking
September 30, 2012 4:37:33 PM

How high you can OC any chip is partly determined by your luck in the bin lottery.
Actually, I think you did at least better than most.

Is there some particular reason why 4.8 is so important to you compared to 4.7?
If you are in an OC competition, I can understand. But if it is for gaming or app performance, then I doubt that you will be able to detect any difference without a benchmark.

Early on, there were some tests for extreme overclocking with sandy bridge, and I presume ivy bridge.
It seem that each chip has a upper limit beyond which it just won't go, regardless of cooling.
Just luck of the draw.

-------------------bottom line------------------
Don't be greedy, enjoy what you have.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2012 5:45:05 PM

Hi :) 

All good advice above, but until you get that temp DOWN... you are NOT going to get more speed...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2012 1:34:46 AM

81C is too much for IB -- Max TCASE is 67.4°C http://ark.intel.com/products/65523

People usually get it completely wrong when they assume they can go over 20C in IB -- it is the other way round -- you can´t go up there with an IB as you´d go with a SB http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ivy-bridge-overclockin...

On the other hand I see not problem if you want to go past 4.8, but you may need a liquid hydrogen cooling solution to keep your IB at a properly temp, which is 67.4°C max.

If you keep the temps that high, then you´re wearing out your cpu as fast as its OC speed -- no my business, but you did asked for advise.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
October 1, 2012 1:45:17 AM

Better get rid of that H100....
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
October 1, 2012 2:00:59 AM

jemm said:
Ultimate Corsair H100 Cooling Mod http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUbpb23yTK8

He's a veteran watercooler, made a ton of fun of closed loops. You can't get below ambient temps, either.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2012 2:12:05 AM

I know that -- push push push push push push push pull pull pull pull pull pull pull pull pull pull lol
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2012 2:33:10 AM

excelent video, gotta love the people posting on there that its not possible to get below ambient temps, ect, ect. its really quiet and inexpensive to do, the vacuum is causing a drop in pressure wich allows the temp to drop below ambient.

Spoiler
watch the whole video (esp at 16:00 minutes)
m
l
!