AMD update 12.3 BIG problems.

djt820

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
I have a Radeon HD 6850. I recently updated to the latest Windows 7 64-bit drivers: 12.3.

Now I'm having big problems. First, my secondary VGA monitor stopped working. Catalyst didn't help me so I decided to install the drivers again. After that, Catalyst REFUSED to open and it just won't work no matter what. I tried uninstalling it through the driver install, through Windows Program. Nothing. It just won't come up.

I should mention that the first time I installed the drivers, I exited out of the installation whilst it was installing Catalyst because I thought it was hanging up (It had been in the same spot for 10 minutes.) If that screwed it up, then it's my fault but I just want it back working again.

How do I fix this? Do I try installing a previous version?

voxleo

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I had the same problem but at 12.1 on my HD 3850 AGP - I rolled back to get it working again but I couldn't remember the last version that worked for me so I just picked one of the most popular for my card even though it was older than the one I previously had working before I went to 12.1. It seems to be working better now then did somewhere in the 11.xx range, so I am just going to leave well enough alone. I think, especially with ATI Radeon drivers, that the old adage really applies: "If it ain't broke... don't fix it."

Reboot into safe mode then Uninstall everything including the CCC install manager - then reboot again. One post I read suggested deleting (in safe mode) all ATI program folders including the one it uses on the C drive to unpack during install once you've uninstalled and then reboot and start again with a known working version.

If there isn't a significant reason to change to the latest and greatest, I'd just as soon leave em alone if they work well for you. I end up having more problems whenever I try to stay up to date...

EDIT>> You should probably empty the temp folders or use something CCleaner to mop up anything that got stuck if it still won't install an older version after rebooting. You may have to use a driver cleaner program, or it probably can't hurt anyway, or it may just give you crap about installing an older version over the new one - if it does just tell it yes, go ahead anyway and it should be fine

djt820

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
I ended up doing a system restore from 2 days ago and now I'm back to where I was. Everything works now, which is great but the reason why I was updating was to see if it would improve game performance (Specifically, GTAIV bugs).

But I guess I'd rather have game bugs than what happened. Thanks for the reply.

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
if there is no mention of a fix in the release notes,then updating wasnt nesessary anyway,which as you can see,there wasnt for GTAIV:

Resolved Issues for the Windows 7 Operating System

This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst 12.3 software suite for Windows 7. These include:

AMD Catalyst Control Center startup issues/ delays have been resolved
Tom Clancy HAWX: No longer crashes after task switching with MLAA (Morphological Anti-Aliasing) and Anti-Aliasing enabled
Furmark Benchmark: No longer crashes when launched in High Performance mode.
Quake 4: No longer display corruption after task switching when run in High Performance mode
XPlane: Textures no longer exhibit flicker and corruption
Skyrim: No longer displays flickering and texture corruption.
Alan Wake: A system crash is no longer experienced when running the game in DirectX 9 mode with Crossfire enabled
Far Cry 2: A random system hang is no longer experienced when running the game at high in game setting

and always do a manual system restore point before updating any driver for just that reason.

davidjuk

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

I've spent the last two days sorting out a HD6850.

Bought it new, removed old Nvidia card and drivers....

I installed it and let Windows search - didn't work, kept crashing.

I removed all drivers, downloaded 12.3 from ATi, didn't work.

I removed all drivers (again), installed the Asus drivers that came with the card - WORKED.

MY NEXT trial will be to downloaded the latest package from ASUS and see what happens.

There are issues, but I DO know that worst case, the drivers that came with my card do work.

The latest CCC does NOT work with Asus EAH6850 DC/2DIS/1GD5/V2. So, presumably this might apply to other makes....

TRENDING THREADS