Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 670 Setup w/ Monitor for $1300?

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 4, 2012 2:41:07 AM

Hey guys. I've recently gotten my first paycheck as a college student and I'm an avid gamer..
I'm excited to spend the majority of my first paycheck on a new gaming desktop since I haven't had a good one in a long time.

The total comes out to be $1300 flat, shipping included from NewEgg (thanks gift coupons!!)

Tower: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower [$110]
GPU: EVGA GTX670 [$420]
MOBO: GA-Z77-D3H [$120]
CPU: i5 2500k [$205]
PSU: Corsair Professional Series 650W 80+ [$117]
HDD: WD 1 TB Caviar Blue SATA III 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive [$98]
CD/DVD Drive: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive [$21]
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz [$48]
Monitor: ASUS 21.5" LED [$148]
Wireless: Medialink USB Adapter [$20]
Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ [$27]

I'm not sure if I'm getting ripped off or not.. This feels like a good PC CONSIDERING that I'm also buying a monitor for $150.
Without the monitor this build would cost me $1150.. with a GTX 670!!

So tell me if this setup is using cheap, breakable parts or if it's a solid setup. thanks in advance. :) 
June 4, 2012 2:54:31 AM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006I2H0YS/ref=ox_sc_a... $76.81 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Mid-Tower Gaming Case - CC-9011014-WW

http://www.corsair.com/carbide-series-300r-compact-pc-g... <----- another look at that case

http://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Enthusiast-BRONZE-Certifi... $106.98 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply - CMPSU-750TXV2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $359.98 save: $25.00 | $20.00 Mail In Rebates FREE SHIPPING
ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7... <---- another look at that board along with a link to the latest bios

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $29.99 FREE SHIPPING
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $46.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAO

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-AD-7280S-0B-Internal-Drive-B... $17.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive (Black)

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Intern... $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... $400 - $430
GTX 670 2GB

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5818/nvidia-geforce-gtx-6... <----- gtx 670 review w/benchmarks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $27.99 FREE SHIPPING
ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express 300/300Mbps Transfer/Receive Rate 64-bit WEP, 128-bit WEP, WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK, WPS support

http://www.buy.com/prod/asus-vs228h-p-21-5-widescreen-l... $138.99 FREE SHIPPING
Asus VS228H-P 21.5" Widescreen LED Blacklit LCD Monitor - 50,000,000:1, 5ms, 1920 x 1080, HDMI

Total: $1,305.71 *not including rebates
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 3:06:34 AM

aurealis5 said:
Hey guys. I've recently gotten my first paycheck as a college student


Not to nit pick, but what college pays their students? especially that much. I must have went to the wrong school. LOL.

I pray you aren't referring to grants/loans as a "paycheck"
m
0
l
Related resources
June 4, 2012 3:34:01 AM

Gigabyte MOBO + i5 2500k = $205+$120 = $325
ASUS P8Z77 + i5 3570k = $360

Is the i5 3570k really worth an additional $35? :(  I heard 2500k is good enough for OCing.
I'm not going to SLI my 670 or anything, so should I get the 2500k or is a 3570k really that good?
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 3:36:15 AM

Also, should I stick with the Medialink USB Wireless Adapter ($20) or install an ASUS Wireless Adapter on my MOBO for $27?

They both seem like good options - what are the differences?

unksol said:
Not to nit pick, but what college pays their students? especially that much. I must have went to the wrong school. LOL.

I pray you aren't referring to grants/loans as a "paycheck"


Oh I didn't get paid by the college.. haha. UC Berkeley would be crazy to give out paychecks to students with the strained funding they already suffer from LOL..
I got paid by teaching kids math and english, ironic how I'm using that money to buy a gaming desktop!
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 3:49:01 AM

aurealis5 said:
Gigabyte MOBO + i5 2500k = $205+$120 = $325
ASUS P8Z77 + i5 3570k = $360

Is the i5 3570k really worth an additional $35? :(  I heard 2500k is good enough for OCing.
I'm not going to SLI my 670 or anything, so should I get the 2500k or is a 3570k really that good?

If your not going to SLI later on then forget that board and psu I posted. I would look for a quicker H/D though unless you plan on picking up an SSD later on. A better wireless card maybe than 150mbps, and that CM EVO is worth the extra $8 imo.

Here's a few cost cutters worth looking into. This psu down below is a Seasonic OEM as is that Corsair 650w you have up there...which is over kill btw.

http://www.amazon.com/PC-Power-Cooling-Silencer-compati... $89.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W Modular 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $99.99
ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z75%20Pro3 <----- another look at that board along with a link to the latest bios.
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 4:48:55 AM

Thanks a bunch. Added a CM EVO from Amazon for really cheap!

Also, what's the difference between Z75 MOBO and Z77 MOBO?
I currently have a Gigabyte Z77-D3H mobo for $119 in my cart - would 'downgrading' my mobo to ASRock Z75 Pro3 affect anything?

Keep in mind I'm going to be running a GTX 670.. not sure if that changes anything.

I might also get a SSD later on - but does having a SSD really help that much while gaming? ;o

Also, what's my best option for computer casing + fans?

I've decided I would (like) an Antec Nine Hundred, but it feels too expensive.

Instead, I might try out this case: (CM Master Enforcer) for $79.99.
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Enforcer-Interior-S...

Apparently it has space for an optional 200mm fan on the top, so I added a CM 200mm fan to my cart for $15.

Subtotal is now $1304 with all free shipping.. do you think this is a good build so far?
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 4:52:33 AM

The Z77 can CF/SLI, but since you're not CF/SLIng and want to OC your CPU, the Z75 board is good.
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 5:07:51 AM

I'll get the Z77 just in case I want to grab another 670 to SLI in the future then! Better to be safe than sorry :) 
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 6:24:50 AM

aurealis5 said:
Thanks a bunch. Added a CM EVO from Amazon for really cheap!

Also, what's the difference between Z75 MOBO and Z77 MOBO?
I currently have a Gigabyte Z77-D3H mobo for $119 in my cart - would 'downgrading' my mobo to ASRock Z75 Pro3 affect anything?

Keep in mind I'm going to be running a GTX 670.. not sure if that changes anything.

I might also get a SSD later on - but does having a SSD really help that much while gaming? ;o

Also, what's my best option for computer casing + fans?

I've decided I would (like) an Antec Nine Hundred, but it feels too expensive.

Instead, I might try out this case: (CM Master Enforcer) for $79.99.
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Enforcer-Interior-S...

Apparently it has space for an optional 200mm fan on the top, so I added a CM 200mm fan to my cart for $15.

Subtotal is now $1304 with all free shipping.. do you think this is a good build so far?

The only difference between that Gigabyte Z77 and that Asrock Z75 is SSD caching. The Z75 doesn't utilize SSD caching but neither of those boards run dual vid cards. Both of those boards are a single card board.

As far as SSD's go, they keep getting cheaper by the month. The longer you wait the better.
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 9:19:30 AM

Then what mobo do you recommend?
I (think) a single GTX 670 might be enough for some time..
I don't plan on doing any eye-finity setups or higher resolutions than 1920x1080 or 1920x1200.
Should I just get the mobo you recommended (ASUS Z75) and not buy a SSD?
Or should I buy the Gigabyte Z77 and buy a SSD sometime later in the future?

Or if you think I might need another GTX 670 for future games (I honestly don't think I'll be needing anything else other than a single 670 however)
Should I just shell out $10 more for this SLI-doable motherboard? (The link is right below.)

Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA1155
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-LGA1155-CrossFireX-Mothe...

By adding this my budget should be at $1320 which sounds pretty nice. What do you say?
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 10:17:12 AM

aurealis5 said:
Then what mobo do you recommend?
I (think) a single GTX 670 might be enough for some time..
I don't plan on doing any eye-finity setups or higher resolutions than 1920x1080 or 1920x1200.
Should I just get the mobo you recommended (ASUS Z75) and not buy a SSD?
Or should I buy the Gigabyte Z77 and buy a SSD sometime later in the future?

Or if you think I might need another GTX 670 for future games (I honestly don't think I'll be needing anything else other than a single 670 however)
Should I just shell out $10 more for this SLI-doable motherboard? (The link is right below.)

Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA1155
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-LGA1155-CrossFireX-Mothe...

By adding this my budget should be at $1320 which sounds pretty nice. What do you say?

A few important things to keep in mind. Most people that leave open the option of a second card never end up adding that card for the fact that something newer and better always comes out on the market by the time they feel the need for another card. A larger psu for dual cards means more money and a board to run dual cards usually means more money.

That gigabyte board you have up there will do just fine. If you live in California then amazon saves you on paying taxes ...or at least it used to, not sure if it still does. So if you get what components you can off of amazon then you saved some money right there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... <----- here's that gigabyte + cpu combo if your interested in the 3570K.

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-LGA1155-CrossFireX-Mothe... <---- there's that gigabyte board on amazon.

m
0
l
June 4, 2012 11:29:59 AM

Gotcha.

Here's my [ALMOST] final setup now.
I changed my Antec tower to a Cooler Master tower and added 2 120mm fans.
Switched up the mobo for a Biostar TZ77XE3 and changed up the HDD and PSU.

Tower: Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case [$60]
GPU: EVGA GTX670 [$420]
MOBO: BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 [$118]
CPU: i5 2500k [$205]
PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W Modular 80PLUS Bronze [$90]
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch [$100]
CD/DVD Drive: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive [$21]
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz [$48]
Monitor: ASUS 21.5" LED [$148]
Wireless: ASUS PCE-N15 300mbps Wireless-N Adapter [$20]
Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO [$36] + 2 120mm Cooler Master fans [$16]

I always hated having an overheated laptop so I'm investing a bunch in fans to make sure my system keeps cool.

All of this plus shipping comes out to be $1295.
Now.. does this seem like a reasonable build? Thanks in advance everyone!
m
0
l
!