Quickest way to test GFX Card Stability

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Hey guys,

I've recently bought a Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 and been playing with OC's as much as possible.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to continuously loop a stress test or sit playing a game for 3 hours to see if it crashes, so I'm wondering if theres a way to test it quicker.

For example, for 3 days straight I was playing Starcraft 2 on extreme settings for an hour at a time @ 1250/1450 with no hiccups. I'd ran 3DMark 11, (With a P Score of 7700 :D) and I'd ran Haven. It passed fine. I also ran Furmark for about 20 mins which was awesome.

I also tested 1300/1500 on 3DMark 11 and OMFG. P Score of 7900. However when I ran Haven it crashed @ Stage 22 or 23 (A Bit with a close up of a flag)

Last night I was playing SC2 and BAM - Off it goes, Shuts down completley, @ 1250/1450 (lost me some ladder points) - Really need to know what is causing this (Memory or Core) Because I love getting the most out of my cards...but I dont have time to stress it for 3 hours every 5 Mhz.

Any Suggestions for a quick and easy stress test? (After the crash, Heaven 2.5, 3D Mark 11 & Furmark all still run fine on 1 loop)

Cheers,

Deadjon

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
I'd guess it means you are close to the o/c limit. Same thing happens to me in Heaven or PCMark 11 if I try to push too hard on my graphics o/c. I canpass those benches fine and still go black screen in Shogun2 sometimes, so I just back off the o/c and/or settings and all is good. The minimal FPS you get from extreme clocking isn't worth the crashing in games.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

Its very important to me that I get the most performance out of my cards for the £ that I pay for them.

I always push them to their limits, and I used to be a jobless bum or a student so I had all the time in the world to play with my 8800GTs or GTX460s.

Now I don't have the time and although I have the money to pay for the higher performing parts, the enjoyment of sitting there and tweaking has gone. It stresses me out because It gets to 11pm and I'm thinking, I have to be up for work soon...

I'm going to cancel on my outing this evening and get my 7870 sorted - I might then buy another one...xD

einterlan

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
I know you dont have time, firs you can use the "autotune" from the CCC driver. but the way to perfectly safe OC that card is 10Mhz by 10Mhz. OC 10Mhz, try for a day or 2. OC 10Mhz more. Just a tip.