Fox9

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I have been reading the ASUS A8N-E manual and have a question. (Deciding whether to buy it).

How does the BIOS anti-virus relate to the whatever anti-virus I ran in windows? Is it worthwhile to install it and do I have to update it regularly?

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Actually, they're not related at all... BIOS anti virus protects boot sector for changes, like when you change your active partition or even viruses like the old chernobyl. But it does not work together with your anti virus software

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Not related to windows at all.

Does not require updates at all.

Can run whatever you like in Windows.

You will want to disable it when partitioning, formatting, or installing an OS, then re-enable it.

It write-protects the boot sector, and may intercept other low level interrupts such as FORMAT (INT 13h and the like from memory ? :p). In a text only environment it will beep/buzz and ask "Yes / No" for permission when changing boot sector. In a GUI environment that lacks its own BIOS (Windows can remap whatever it wants over F000:0000 - FFFF:FFFF) it may disallow writes to the boot sector.

Generally a good thing to have enabled. Except when performing certain (rare) tasks. Running NTFS under a WinNT/2K/XP env and decent Anti-Virus protection you wouldn't really need it on however.

Google "VSAFE.COM" or "VSAFE.EXE" and you'll see the historical timeframe (DOS / Win 3.xx) and concepts sets such features used. Quite interesting stuff if IT / Computing is your thing. Tomes of Knowledge dare I say.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Just turn it off. If you have a windows anti-virus solution which you update regularly, it should be all the protection you need. As jap0nes stated it only protects your boot sector and could cause problems when installing OS or creating partitions.

Cheers

Just turn it off. If you have a windows anti-virus solution which you update regularly, it should be all the protection you need. As jap0nes stated it only protects your boot sector and could cause problems when installing OS or creating partitions.

Cheers

I agree with Chocknuti:

If you have a good anti-virus solution you will be protected from almost every threat with the exception of you booting from a floppy or CD, in those environments you would be vulnerable.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
exception of you booting from a floppy or CD, in those environments you would be vulnerable.

You are correct. Booting from floppy, CD or USB flash is a vulnerability. I
never boot from any of those devices without scanning them in a PC with an updated virus scanner.

(actually have a boot up CD and floppy which I know are safe). If I need to boot I only use those 2 and never anything else.