Is this a good $1400 gaming PC?

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k Sandy Bridge (stock 3.3 GHz)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Graphics Card: (Which is better? ----->) GeForce GTX 670 2GB or SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6950 (OC Edition)
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB
HDD: Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F60GB3A-BK 2.5" 60GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Data HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Case: Fractal Design Core 3000 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ 3 Fans
Optical Drive: SilverStone SST-TS06 Plastic with diamond shape exterior 2.5" Black USB 2.0 External USB Slim Optical drive Enclosure with 2.5" SSD/HDD Conversion Tray (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS Series VS247H-P Black 23.6" 2ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 50000000:1 (ASCR) or ----> Should I just plug it into my HDTV (I was wondering if I plugged it into my tv would it make my FPS go down?)
15 answers Last reply
More about good 1400 gaming
  1. Anyone want to give me suggestions or tips please?
  2. that is very expensive for $1400. .only a 60 gig SSD. good lord it should be a 120 gig atleast.
    btw, a 670 will eat a 6950 for breakfast.

i personally do not like "P" series motherboards, no video out and they are cheaper, hence it is expensive for $1400.
  3. Okay what motherboard would you suggest? And I'm only getting the SSD for my operating system so it has a faster boot shouldn't it be fine? And how about a GeForce 560 Ti 1GB? Thanks!
  4. are you buying this stuff separately or getting a prebuilt?
  5. Build looks pretty good, I would suggest a couple changes.

-I would get the new Ivy Bridge CPU, the i5 3570K.
    -For the motherboard I would suggest a Asrock Extreme4 Z77
    -GPU the 670 is one of the best for the money right now.
    -PSU, if you want to SLI in the future I would upgrade to a 750W PSU.
    -And if you want to OC a bit you should look into the 212 EVO.
  6. hopz said:
    Build looks pretty good, I would suggest a couple changes.

-PSU, if you want to SLI in the future I would upgrade to a 750W PSU.

ok pop quiz, WHY a 750?
  7. 750W is overkill right now, but would give a nice leeway for a future SLI and still have a little cushion room.
  8. I was going to buy a pre-built but they are all too expensive and I can't find an i5-2500k anywhere with a pre-built, the only problem with that is I have never built a computer myself before.

I don't plan on overclocking so the i5-2500k should be good right? Okay I will switch to that motherboard, and lol your gonna think I'm stupid but I meant to put the GeForce 560 Ti 1GB (so then which card is better?). I don't think I'm going to SLI or OC so I should be good with the rest of the stuff right?
  9. The 670 is a lot better then the 560. If you don't want to OC you don't need the heat sink, and can get a little cheaper board that isn't overclockable.
  10. you get a C-

a 650 watt is fine for a SLI set up. actually the OP can get away with a quality 550 watt PSU for SLI. yes i know 550 . .what is important isn't the amount of watts but how many amps are on the 12 volt rail.

a i5 will draw not more than 150 watts - 12.5 amps. a gtx 670 will draw 164 watts on 100% load, 14 amps.
    12.5+(14*2)= 40.5 amps. add an amp for every HD & SSD and for every 2 sticks of RAM we are talking 43 amps.

a quality 650 watt PSU like what the OP chose will suffice.
  11. Okay as you can probably tell I'm pretty new at building a rig so can yo suggest a little cheaper motherboard that you have in mind? And the heatsink is the fan that cools the CPU right?
  12. Jordannn15 said:
    Okay as you can probably tell I'm pretty new at building a rig so can yo suggest a little cheaper motherboard that you have in mind? And the heatsink is the fan that cools the CPU right?

if you are NOT going to overclock the i5 2400 is a fine CPU. also you can get a H67 motherboard which does NOT have the features to overclock.

by the way what are you using this for?

and yes the 560 is a good gpu.

EDIT:

Intel Core i5 3450 $189.99
    ASUS P8H77-V LGA1155 H77 $124.99

you really do not need to get another heatsink, the stock one that comes with it will be fine.
  13. Okay and I'm using this for gaming do you think that the 560 will get me 250 FPS constant on lets say high settings on COD4 (Call of Duty 4 Modern Warefare <--- not trying to insult your intelligence but that's if your not a gamer).
  14. Jordannn15 said:
    Okay and I'm using this for gaming do you think that the 560 will get me 250 FPS constant on lets say high settings on COD4 (Call of Duty 4 Modern Warefare <--- not trying to insult your intelligence but that's if your not a gamer).

i personally like the survival in special OPS.
    only COD4 "benchmark" is some cat claiming to get 100-250 FPS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njRleaSiT8g
    @ the 0:04 mark.

hey i gotta split, hope i helped. :)
  15. Thanks! You guys helped a lot. I'm not going to pick a best answer if either of you care because both of you helped me the same.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems