Do I need a new power supply?

ifarted

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Hi, I was wondering do I need a new power supply if I want my computer to run its full speed.
Would my 400 watt power supply allow my computer to run its full potential or I need to get something higher like 550watt?
My computer specs:
- dynex dx-400wps power supply
- GIGABYTE GV-R667D3-1GI Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
- OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
- 320gb 7200rpm hard drive
- ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
- CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B *********(In my bios it says its running at 1300 instead of 1600)********
- Amd FX 8120 Processor Black edition
-Cd/Dvd drive
- 5 fans, 6 fans including the psu fan
- corsair hydro series h60 high performance liquid cpu cooler (push/pull)
Here are some pictures:
51247786.png

84296826.png

77484801.png

75954620.png

18797269.png

Solution
D
As has been said several times by those who know what they are talking about....You only need a quality 400w power supply!

The Corsair 430CX is an amazing value and plenty of power......yes even including overclocking.....for your system.

Brand and model MATTER. You can't just say a 500w 80 plus certify 34amp would cost me 30 :
450w 80 plus bronze 35amp would cost me 35, and have that mean anything. They could well be Coolermaster or Thermaltake power supplies. 2 Brands of junk.

You want quality stick with the brands I listed above!
If you're overclocking and your system is stable, you should be fine. A power supply either supplies enough amps or doesn't; too much won't improve performance. I've used the dynex ps you have; it's barely adequate. I use a 400w ocz, but my sempron with 210 video doesn't need more juice. If you want to replace the ps, it can't hurt, and I certainly would with your next video upgrade.

D

Deleted member 217926

Dynex is complete crap. Having a better power supply will not make your computer perform any better though but it will reduce the risk of having a low quality piece of junk damage your other components.

HardOCP review of the PSU.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2008/05/13/getting_best_buy_on_power_supply/2

It's one of the worst power supply reviews I have ever read. Basically the summary is that the model should be labeled at 200 watts.

The Corsair 430CX listed above actually produces it's rated wattage and is very good unit. It's a huge upgrade from what you have.

D

Deleted member 217926

The Corsair or the Antec. Coolermaster makes great cases and cooling accessories......power supplies, not so much.

I trust Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ and Antec across the board.

ifarted

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
i been using this power supply for about half a year. Could it be possible my gpu or cpu is damage now because it has lack of power? I did notice my computer shut down by it self and restart but no more than 5 times

ifarted, you need not worry about wattage so much. I've talked to builders who think that you need a 1000+ watt power supply for any modern computer that can game, and that's simply not true. I have a 650w corsair professional, and, when needed, it can give me 900w. Even the 650w is more than enough to power my computer - I'm actually sitting right in the sweet spot of 60% load that makes a PSU the most efficient. It'll never die on me, and it'll never kill my computer.

Do a little research on what brands of power supplies are reliable - this is WAY more important than having too many watts, as a bad power supply can either quit, or fail in a way that bricks your entire computer. My personal list looks a lot like anorts, but I'm not as big on enermax, ocz, or antec.

No. No computer part will ever fail because it doesn't have enough power, only because it has too much voltage from user error.

Even if a part isn't getting enough power, the worst that will happen is that it will turn off - like you may have had happen. [There are dozens of other reasons a computer may restart on its own as well.]

ifarted

Distinguished
May 11, 2011

That has 2 +12v which isnt that good. Each +12 is only 20amps

No - the only way you would damage your parts from that is if, while overclocking, you were being an idiot.

Also, I'm not sure what we're saying is getting through... 1000w would be WAY too much for you, it's not even twice what you need; closer to 3 times.

Stop worrying about the wattage: as long as it's enough, the number doesn't matter. What matters is that the power supply isn't going to break and melt your entire computer.