Hard drive not working

cokkish

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Hello,
I've got a maxtor basics external desktop hard drive. Unfortunately the other day it fell on the ground and it hasn't worked ever since.
It doesn't even show on my computer, I mean, it is as if nothing is connencted.
The hard drive's pilot light is on when i connected it through the usb cable, but it gives off some weird mechanical sounds and then nothing.
Could anybody help me or is my situation beyond repair?
Is there anything an unlearned person like me could do to sort it out or have I necessarily got to turn to professional aid? Thanks for reading...

Hi :)

I own computer shops..

If you drop any hard drive and get strange noises from it afterwards, its normally history :( ... drop in bin time...

The only way you will get any data back from mechanical damage, is to use a data recovery firm and usually the good ones charge Thousands !

All the best Brett :)

cokkish

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Well, it doesn't actually make that awful noise! It's more of it straining not loud but giving up the effort after a few seconds. the light still stays on, though.

Hi :)

The noise is usually a sort of clicking noise as the arm TRIES to move across the platter....

I think you are wasting your time actually....just try NOT to drop the next one... :)

All the best Brett :)

cokkish

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Exactly a clicking noise.... It is really hard to take but i guess i'll have to cope with it... :(
Thanks for your advice.

negative0007

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I've recovered data from hard drives by putting them in the freezer for the night, then plugging them in quick and copying files.

It may work, it may not.

If you have a substantial amount of data, you may have to do it folder by folder and re-freeze when it warms up.

But I managed to pull 30 gigs of wedding videos and personal pics off a dropped noisy drive over 2 weeks with this method.