Sign in with
Your question

Thoughts or suggestions on a configured PC I am looking at...

Last response: in Systems
June 3, 2012 5:51:41 PM

*BASE_PRICE: [+1519]
BLUETOOTH: None
CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
CARE2: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
CAS: Cooler Master HAF-XM Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ 2x 200mm fan, Front USB 3.0 & X-Dock HDD HotSwap
CASUPGRADE: 12in Liquid Neon Thunder Pattern Light [+15] (Blue Color)
CD: LG UH12LS28K 12X Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive [+20] (BLACK COLOR)
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (All Venom OC Certified)
CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]
ENGRAVING: Custom Message - Max 35 characters (including spaces) [+0] (Times New Roman Italic [+0])
ENGRAVING_MSG: I'm The Best
FA_HDD: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System [+21] (1 x System)
FAN: Thermaltake Frio OCK CPU Cooler (Designed for Over-Clocker King)(CLP0575) [+38]
FLASHMEDIA: None
FREEBIE_CS: None
FREEBIE_CU: FREE! Mass Effect 3 Game [+0]
GAMES1: Diablo III Game [+60]
GLASSES: None
HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
IEEE_CARD: None
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance [+38])
MONITOR: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOPAD1: Razer Sphex Gaming Grade Desktop Skins Mouse Pad [+13]
MOTHERBOARD: * (3-Way SLI Support) Gigabyte X79-UD5 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI DualBIOS, Dolby Home Theater 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI [+55]
MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OS: Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional [+31] (64-bit Edition)
OVERCLOCK: Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more) [+49]
POWERSUPPLY: 1,000 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
TEMP: None
TUNING: Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel [+0]
TVRC: None
USB: None
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
USBX: None
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
WNC: 802.11b/g/n 300 Mbps Wireless Card + External Dual 2.4G 5 Dbi Omni-Directional High Gain Antenna [+49]
June 3, 2012 7:01:20 PM

You are getting this from Cyberpowerpc aren't you?

I would not do so if it were me for a number of reasons.

1) Working with hardware myself isn't that intimdiating. I don't feel the need to pay them to do something I can do just as well. You may differ on this.

2) They use primarily Corsair parts or companies much worse than that. Corsair has a lot of quality issues and I just would not want my computer to be filled with Corsair parts. Maybe at the most 1 part from them if it was a really good deal, but mine right now has 0 from them other than a USB thumb drive that is ATM not connected and I am happy about that.

I ask for more than Corsair can give and Cyber Power usually can't provide it.

3) A lot of stuff they use is worse than Corsair stuff, I mean like really horrible. Look where it says POWERSUPPLY : 1,000 Watts - Standard Power Supply. Nowhere in there does it say a maker. I would never buy a PSU without knowing both the maker and the model of it first. The PSU is like the computer's heart and not just anything will do. If you needed a heart transplant you wouldn't want to take just any old heart either. You would want it to be from someone that did their exercizing and didn't eat bacon all day every day and stuff like that.

So many of their PSU options don't have maker and model listed at all, including the one you chose. I just couldn't abide by that for my own PC. It is too important to the functioning of the whole computer.

That about covers the basic stuff.

The motherboard is going to be your spinal column and the processor your brain, so I can see where you might want to go for the best of the best. I can't really fault you for that stuff.

However, the best of the best usually isn't a good value play. It is almost always overpriced. Usually about 2 or 3 steps down from there is where you get the really good deals.

In this case, I would say the amount you pay over whatever an i5-3570k and a regular Z77 1155 motherboard costs is probably not going to get you a lot of bang for your buck.

If you have a lot of bucks and all you care about is having a lot of bang then that really won't matter to you, but if you care more about spending a lot less bucks and getting not a lot less bang, then you might want to think about that.
m
l
June 3, 2012 9:14:29 PM

**CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
you pay extra to ensure it arrives safely?

CARE2: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]**
I'd like to see what they call minimum cable exposure too, I bet I beat it :) 

COOLANT: Standard Coolant
Why do you even have this on the list?

As suggested, build your own, please don't throw thousands on a Cp unit
Moto
m
l
Related resources
June 3, 2012 10:11:21 PM

Standard Coolant probably just means air or nothing.

Anyway, I could see why the person might want to pay extra to make sure it isn't damaged in transit because having to fight with OEMs about broken stuff sucks

I can also see the "professional wiring" if they don't care to do it themselves.

For experts like us it is not a big deal, but others may not know or care how to best minimize cable exposure nor have the inclination to sit there for hours trying to absolutely minimize airflow obstructions.

One thing that I thought to mention immediately after I submitted and started working on a different problem, though, was that 4x 4GBs is probably super massive overkill.

It looks like this is probably going to be a gaming PC, and if so then 2x 4GB is preferable over 4x 4GBs for quite a few reasons.

I would only use 4x 4GBs if there is going to be some high end audio or visual editing going on which is kinda unlikely.

Otherwise OP, you can just scale back to 2x 4GBs and actually be better off in many ways not just saving $.

This PC should absolutely only be ordered with a Corsair PSU in it because that is the only ones that Cyberpower use that are worth anything, and if Corsair is chosen then 1000w should not be chosen because even with a 20% across the board OC there is no way that this system will be pulling anywhere close to 666w (targeted at 2/3 of 1000w for max draw).

Even with the 20% OC I don't see the computer breaking 450w, so I would suggest to pick a PSU more like 650w or 750w at the outside.

A thorough investigation into the merits of whatever Corsair 700w-ish unit will have to be done because I don't trust the CWT units (most of them) like I do the Seasonic ones (the minority).
m
l
June 3, 2012 10:34:50 PM

I appreciate everyone's input, I am a novice when it comes to assembly and I have heard from friends that this company is reputable...I have about a 2.3k budget for graduation and was looking to get a pc to game with for the next 5 or 6 years at least...I would rather not have to build my own pc because I am afraid I would do something to damage the unit
m
l
June 3, 2012 10:38:07 PM

I was just wondering if liquid cooling is necessary because I dont want to have to worry about maintenence and plus, the new intel processors don't run as hot as sandy bridge from what I have heard...could be wrong all input is very much appreciated!!
m
l
June 3, 2012 11:04:54 PM

If you are a novice, use this as a learning experience!
m
l
June 4, 2012 12:32:10 AM

Ivy bridge runs hotter than Sandy Bridge. Not sure where you read the reverse of that, but it is untrue in every case.

People who want to OC their processors chose the older Sandy Bridge models, because they have a lower base heat level and the more you OC the hotter it gets. By starting lower in heat they can go farther up than the Ivy chips can and still come out ahead.

I can respect that you are a novice and that you don't want to build it yourself, as long as you can accept that you are going to pay more for worse quality parts than if you do it yourself.

You could even buy a $200 computer and mess all around with all the parts and break whatever you want and then buy all the same things from Newegg afterwards and still pay less money in total than if you go with the deal you are considering.

Not to mention if you went that route you could have more reliable parts in the deal.

For that matter there are computers you can get for like $20 at used stuff stores all over town so you could get like 10 of those for the same $200 and mix and match stuff as you like.

If your budget is $2300 you might as well spend some of the other people's money on some real education that will stick with you for life like learning how to put together gaming PCs yourself.

Assuming you want to game for life it would certainly be better than overpaying Cyberpower every 5 years.
m
l
June 4, 2012 2:34:34 AM

Does it require an extensive knowledge base to build a solid pc? I would really love to build one, but my only fear is letting 1k go down the drain, I've been saving up for a long time and just want to get myself something that will satisfy my craving like running crysis 2 maxed out, battlefield 3 on max, things like eye candy...If any of you have alternatives to buying from cyberpower or building my own (for now) I would very much appreciate it. Thank you all for your responses
m
l
June 4, 2012 2:44:01 AM

Dometologist said:
Does it require an extensive knowledge base to build a solid pc?

The actual building part, not really. You can do some reading to educate yourself, but it's hard to screw things up. Most things are basically common sense because they will only go in one way. Seriously, the hardest part is probably heatsink installation, because if you go aftermarket with that, it can get a little more involved than using the stock heatsink.

But I agree with Raiddinn here. Learning how to build your own now will set you up for life by not having to rely on overpriced pre-built stuff.
m
l
June 4, 2012 2:51:29 AM

how much can I expect to pay for components of a rig that can run crysis 2 maxed with DX11? I'm really stingy about that as my benchmark, it looks simply awesome :p 
m
l
June 4, 2012 2:54:09 AM

Honestly less than $1500 should do it. The biggest chunk of that being the GPU.
m
l
June 4, 2012 3:12:30 AM

I couldn't select a best answer, you have all provided invaluable input and I appreciate the pointers...Thanks again!
m
l
June 4, 2012 4:25:52 AM

I can fix you up with new parts in this thread if you are willing to try putting the hardware together yourself.

I happen to be a huge poster in the new builds section anyway.

It isn't that hard to build a new PC, as mentioned before most things only go in one way.

Getting things perfect requires a bit of finesse sometimes, but things don't necessarily need to be perfect.

Some people here will spend hours redoing their cable management to get like 1c or 2c better temps in the case if that, but such differences aren't huge in terms of the overall functioning of the computer.

You can start by looking at the link in my signature for the $1200 PC and substituting a GTX 670 or 680 for the video card. Then we can discuss from there.
m
l
June 4, 2012 8:27:34 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
!