I5 2500K vs 3570K

iFaymous

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
I was thinking about upgrading my processor to a i5 2500K or a 3570K. I will mostly be using this processor for recording games and rendering them for Youtube. Which one would be better to get? I am not looking to overclock the processor until I see performance drop in gaming, so I will mostly have it at stock speeds. There is a 15$ price difference between the two CPUs.

2500k = $215
3570k = $230

Also which motherboard would run the best on these processors that will be around $125?

Both will work fine, and to be honest, if this is just for gaming, I would go with the 2500k as it costs a little bit less to save you a few $$$ :) The choice is yours, there isn't much difference between the two besides the Integrated GPU, which may or may not be of relevance to you.

The ASRock Extreme4 Z77 would be my motherboard of choice for around $140, it has a very beefy power phase design to allow you to pull off massive OC's in the future as well.

jemm

Distinguished
For gaming at stock speed the Core i5-3570K is better than the i5 2500K. But Ivy Bridge is hotter than Sandy Bridge when overclocked http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ivy-bridge-overclocking-high-temp,15512.html

As you can see in the article you can push a lot more the i5 2500K when overclocked. However you can overclock the i5-3570K if your rig has a properly cooling solution -- good case and an excellent CPU cooler.

It is mostly unlikely you see a performance drop in gaming, both with I5 2500K and 3570K, if you consider the modern titles like Battlefield 3, etc.

Intel Core i7-3770K Review: A Small Step Up For Ivy Bridge http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmark-core-i7-3770k,3181.html

GIGABYTE GA-Z77MX-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128542

obsama1

Distinguished
I don't understand why people say the 2500K is better for overclocking. If you're looking just at stock speeds, then yes you can overclock the 2500K further before it gets hot. But, an i5 2500K at 4.6 is equivalent to a 3570K at 4.3GHz.

At stock, the 3570K performs a tad faster, and you may find Lucid Virtu MVP useful. But the 2500K is cheaper. Both are great CPU's, but I'd spring for he 2500K.

Jay-Z

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
I would go with the 3570k. In the original post, you said that you want to keep it at stock and only overclock when you see a drop in performance. Ivy bridge would be a better choice for your needs.

Go with the Ivy Bridge, i5 3570K.

If you purchase a Z77 motherboard you will be able to run PCIe 3, which has twice the bandwidth of last generation motherboards. It is true that you can put either of your mentioned CPUs in a Z77 motherboard, however, if you use the 2500K one of the features you will lose with a Z77 motherboard is PCIe 3, the 2500K only supports PCIe 2.

This does not matter so much at the present, however, in the future more and more video cards will be able to use more bandwidth than PCIe 2 can supply.

As for speed, if you need to overclock either CPU will work. As for CPU mosfits [commonly known as power phases], you can get by with fewer with the 3570K because it uses less power. I used to recommend at least 8 CPU phases for older generation CPUs when overclocking. The 3570K does just fine with 6 phase for the CPU, and the CPU can be under-volted at stock speeds through 4.2GHz or slightly higher GHz.

Currently I suggest Gigabyte motherboards, not because they are always the fastest in benchmark tests [differences in motherboard speeds are usually so close that you would never be able to detect the difference with the naked eye], but, because they are very reliable. And, many of the new Gigabyte boards have better ESD [static electricity or ElectroStatic Discharge] protection.

The Gigabyte Z77X-D3H is a very good basic motherboard. I has more of what you will need for expansion and overclocking compared to the Gigabyte micro motherboard mentioned above. And, it is the same price, actually $15 less with the current rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128546

I made 2 reviews for this motherboard, the last review, with F15 BIOS, on 9/26/2012 I did very fast benchmarking, as I wanted to get everything done in 8 hours, which is not what I normally do, and that is why I am using 1.240 at 4.5GHz until further testing permits lower stable voltage. The early review dated 7/4/2012 is with F9 BIOS.

My name at Newegg reviews is Dan.

Someone already mentioned a micro Gigabyte, however, for overclocking long term I do not suggest that board, it has a very small cooler on the South Bridge, fewer mosfits, fewer USB 3.0 connections, fewer SATA connections, and so on.

Using the Gigabyte Z77X-D3H motherboard I was able to overclock my i5 3570K to 4.8GHz, however, it was not stable in all tests, as my air cooler was not enough, it go too hot for more voltage.

I do not like temps over 70 degrees C. I prefer to stay below 60 degrees C for the most demanding games or programs, although I consider up to 65 degrees C still safe. So, for gaming I will probably run 4.4GHz, although 4.5GHz runs around 59 degrees C in a room at 70 degrees F with all 4 CPU cores at 100% usage.

Current voltage:
4.4GHz is 1.195v
4.5GHz is 2.400v

I could tweak a little more and probably get the voltage a little lower, however, because I have spent time on other things for now that is the way it stands.

As soon as you get the chance upgrade the BIOS [mine is currently F15], some early BIOS did not perform well. The better BIOS versions started at version F9.

Clock for clock the 3570K is faster thatn the 2500K.

Some of my computer components are:

HAF 922 case with a third 200mm fan added in door, CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M PSU, 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 1866 CAS8, Prolimatech PRO TIM [for the CPU cooler], Noctura NH-C14 cooler [it came with 2 fans, I use them both - the lower fan clears my G.Skill Ripjaws RAM by 1/4 inch].

If you use a large air cooler, such as the Noctura NH-C14, install your SATA cables to the motherboard before installing a large video card. My old AMD HD 6950 video card covers the first two SATA 6Gbs connections [which you should use with a SSD].

Thanks for that wite-up Danra. I too can vouch for Gigabyte boards, but my recommendation would be for a slightly different model. I'd go for the Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H (note the U in the model number). It their ultra reliable version of the same motherboard Danra was talking about, and offerst even better quality electrical circuitry. It's worth the extra 10 or dollars for the better built board IMO.