XFX HD-677X-Z5F3 and mini DP to vga adaptor problem

XeNz

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
So a few days ago a friend of mine bought an XFX HD-677X-Z5F3, which has 5 mini DisplayPorts. Note that he only has a monitor (yes, 1 monitor) with a vga connector, he had no intention of running Eyefinity or anything. So he thought buying a mini DP -> VGA adaptor would solve the problem.
Unfortunately, when his computer boots up, 1long and 2 short beeps can be heard, his monitor also does not get any signal. I googled his bios beep codes and this is what I found : Video adapter error - Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly.
The graphics card's fan is running, so I guess that means it is working. Is there something wrong with the adaptor or am I missing something here?

if he had bought a regular instead of the eyefinity edition he would have no problems going from dvi to vga with a dongle
tell him to return it and get a card with two dvi outs

jonebarker

Honorable
May 16, 2012
He needs to get a powered vga hub that has minidp input. I'm not sure for VGA, but one exists for DVI. The card will not handle the current for the feed alone. For that price alone it may be best to get another card. I'm interested in buying though ;)