How is my setup?

trotter32

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
Hello, so i am building my first computer. I was wondering if my build is any good for what i want. I want a gaming computer, that can also handle visual design programs (such as photoshop) with no problems. I will be using Windows 7 for my OS. My current build is as follows:

-ASUS SABERTOOTH X79

-Intel Core i7-3820

-EVGA GeForce GTX670 2048MB GDDR5 256bit, 2x Dual-Link DVI, HDMI, DP, 4-Way SLI Ready Graphics Card (02G-P4-2670-KR)

-Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B

-Samsung Blu-Ray Combo Internal 12XReadable and DVD-Writable Drive with Lightscribe SH-B123L/BSBP

-CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply - CMPSU-750TXV2

-Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s

-Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive

-Corsair Hydro Series H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

(end of list)

Other questions:
-Is everything compatible?

-Is the power supply enough/to much?

-Is SSD worth getting?

Looks great to me, although I'd say it's slight overkill for gaming and Photoshop. If you're doing some video editing and heavy rendering in a 3D rendering program too, then this system makes more sense.

dpmcbrde

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
SSDs are always worth it, but do you really need all that space? That's a great PSU, but, from my experience, Corsair PSUs don't support SLI. Another brand to look at is XFX, especially if you plan on running SLI down the road. The 670 is probably the best value at that price point. For gaming and PhotoShop, 8GB is more than enough RAM. The H80 is great for what it is, but if you could bump it up to an H100, it's a world of difference. Air coolers are also worth looking into. Also, Sabertooth mobos are overpriced. A couple of other brands to look at are Gigabyte and MSI. And, finally, that CPU is very overkill. I'd recommend a 2500k (the k represents overclockability). The only game out right now that can utilize more than four cores is BF3, which runs just fine on an overclocked 2500k.

I think that's a fine PSU for that very reason. Adding another 670 at some point in the (possibly distant) future will be a much more economical upgrade than getting a new, better GPU.

Edit to above: grab an air cooler like the $25 Hyper 212 Plus or it's $35 EVO cousin. Both are within a couple of degrees of the Noctua and cost far less.

Yes, I think the SSD is worth getting. You could go 128gb if you don't care about having a bunch of games all load quickly.

You can save $100 on the mobo with no detectable loss in performance by going with the ASRock X79 Extreme3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157287
...but I'm actually going to advocate going with a Sandy Bridge 2000-series CPU. A $200ish 2500K with a mild overclock will work much better than a stock 3820. Moderate overclocking without messing with voltage is perfectly safe and makes great economic sense.
The only SB-E CPU worth getting is the $600 3930K, and that's only of use in niche applications that require a ton of CPU power. With the 2500K, get an ASRock Z77 Extreme4: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

What's your overall budget?

dpmc, can you back up that Corsair comment? The TX750 has the four PCIe connectors required for SLI, and it can provide the power. Is there an issue I've never heard of? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

muffin, custom water cooling is much more expensive than the H100, and SB doesn't have big temperature problems anyway. Crazy OCing of the variety that needs better cooling than air can provide also needs crazy overvolting and doesn't bode well for the lifespans of the CPUs it's used on.