Cant Copy files from CD

roman

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2001
Hello All
I am using Win2k and cant copy large amount of data between my CDROMs and hard disk. I have only recently bought my Abit KT7a board. I also know my CDROM drives are fine. I have checked cables and bios settings but everything seems fine. Please help. Everything worked fine on my old board and Win98. When I try to copy files it will copy some (random each time) and then the system will lock up. Same thing happens when i burn a CD.

roman

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2001
Its a PC. Hard Disk on Primary IDE and a CD writer and CDROM on the secondary IDE. CDRW is master CDROM is slave

G

are all your drives/components compatable with win2k?

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>

G

have you downloaded service pack 2?

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>

G

I get the same problem with a AOpen MK33 board (VIA KT133 / VT82C686A chipsets) and a Acer DVD. But I get it under Win Me and Win 98, not 2K. I have the latest VIA 4 in 1 driver installed and no SB 5.1. Only expansion cards currently in the machine is a Elsa Gladiac 511 (GeForce2 MX400 64MB) and a Netgear Fast Ethernet card. I've also tried it with an old (4x) CDrom, same prob.

WaqMan

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
I have the exact same problem. I also recently bought a KT7a board and have started getting this problem. I am runnin Win98. I also have the 4.32 4in1 Via drivers and I have checked all the cables and bios settings. Please help.

G

You know, I ALSO had this same problem on my brother's new computer. He bought a new abit kt7e socket a motherboard and the 52x creative labs cd rom didnt work for him either when he tried to install things, it would just lock up like you guys were describing. Well, after reading your posts i realized it wasnt the cd rom (worked on other computers.. with diff motherboards...) So it wasnt working as the secondary master. I hooked it up as the primary slave and alas.. no more problems. It might have also been the fact that i had had my hd on the primary slave.. well.. my brother did. So, if your cdrom on your kt7 motherboard is experiencing the prob of locking up when copying.. try moving it to primary slave. If it works, make sure to reply back and confirm so i can send a notice to amd or something like that

Why reformat when you can SMASH IT WITH A BIG HUGE SLEDGEHAMMER!!

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try to disable DMA on your CD-ROM and maybe the burner. See if it still lockup your computer. My system too don't really like DMA on my CD drives.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!