Mixer Icon Sudden appearance

January 23, 2005 1:01:16 PM

Today, I see for the first time an icon named "mixer" on the left lower
corner of the screen, just beside the Start button. If I left click or right
click on it no reaction, no way to make it disappear. My OS is Windows XP
home. I have been told that although mixer.exe is part of Windows media,
some hackers might use it to infiltrate your machine. Is there some security
concern since it appeared only today? I went to regedit and was close to
delete it until I thought it might screw the sound process up. Thanks for
your input

J-Louis
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:11:55 AM

"jlbelard" <jlbelard@comcast.net> wrote:

>Today, I see for the first time an icon named "mixer" on the left lower
>corner of the screen, just beside the Start button. If I left click or right
>click on it no reaction, no way to make it disappear. My OS is Windows XP
>home. I have been told that although mixer.exe is part of Windows media,
>some hackers might use it to infiltrate your machine.

I cannot find a MIXER.EXE here. I would remove this from the startup
settings and see if this causes any problems.
Also run Ad-aware (http://www.lavasoft.de).
"How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560)

--
(tm)
!