Mixer Icon Sudden appearance

Today, I see for the first time an icon named "mixer" on the left lower
corner of the screen, just beside the Start button. If I left click or right
click on it no reaction, no way to make it disappear. My OS is Windows XP
home. I have been told that although mixer.exe is part of Windows media,
some hackers might use it to infiltrate your machine. Is there some security
concern since it appeared only today? I went to regedit and was close to
delete it until I thought it might screw the sound process up. Thanks for
your input

J-Louis
1 answer Last reply
More about mixer icon sudden appearance

    "jlbelard" <jlbelard@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Today, I see for the first time an icon named "mixer" on the left lower
    >corner of the screen, just beside the Start button. If I left click or right
    >click on it no reaction, no way to make it disappear. My OS is Windows XP
    >home. I have been told that although mixer.exe is part of Windows media,
    >some hackers might use it to infiltrate your machine.

    I cannot find a MIXER.EXE here. I would remove this from the startup
    settings and see if this causes any problems.
    Also run Ad-aware (http://www.lavasoft.de).
    "How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560)

    --
    (tm)