How do I prepare to upgrade mobo and CPU

shane_l_s

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
First of all let me say sorry if this doesn't belong here. Since I am mostly concerned with re-setting up my OS to the way I like it, I thought I would post my inquiry here.

In a few days I will be upgrading from my AMD 965 Black and Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 to an Intel i5 2500k and GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4. I was curious as to what you all thought I could do to minimize effort and problems restoring my system settings, programs, and data files after a clean install of Windows 7.

I currently have 3 HDDs; A 640GB for my OS (C: ), a 1TB for Programs and User files (D: ) (Pics, Docs, DVDs, etc.), and a 500GB (E: ) for Win7 backups. I also have a NAS (\\NAS\) with 500GB. At this point I have good User File backups on E: and am now creating IFW drive images of C: and D: onto the NAS. I have also generated reports from SIW (Hardware, Software, and Network) and Win7's System Settings from the Advanced Tools control panel.

So, what now? Any ideas or suggestions?

[fixed] In a few days I will be upgrading from my AMD 965 Black and Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 to an Intel i5 2500k and GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4. I was curious as to what you all thought I could do to minimize effort and problems restoring my system settings, programs, and data files after a clean install of Windows 7.

I currently have 3 HDDs; A 640GB for my OS (C: ), a 1TB for Programs and User files (D: ) (Pics, Docs, DVDs, etc.), and a 500GB (E: ) for Win7 backups. I also have a NAS (\\NAS\) with 500GB. At this point I have good User File backups on E: and am now creating IFW drive images of C: and D: onto the NAS. I have also generated reports from SIW (Hardware, Software, and Network) and Win7's System Settings from the Advanced Tools control panel.[/fixed]

A clean install is needed. If u are changing from one CPU brand to another, it may not even boot, if it does, it will hunt u down with errors and BSOD's, just like others are.

And your performance will go down to the toilet too.

Windows 7 Clean Install + Screens

shane_l_s

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Let me restate my question simply... I am planning a clean install of windows. Is there any way to get all of my programs, windows settings, and docs back where I have them on... basically ...a new PC.

(I have Win7 backups coming out of my arse)

My biggest issue is having to reinstall Visual Studio, SQL Server, MS Office, games, etc. and having to download ALL the gigs of updates to go along with them. Not to metion all of the little apps (i.e. IcoFX) that i either forget about or aren't available free any longer. I've done this OS install process the 'Hard Way' more times than I can count already. And I'm really just not in the mood to do it again :) .

And before anyone starts barking at me about fresh installs being the best option... I KNOW!!! I will probably go that route kicking, whining and complaining the whole time anyway. I just thought I'd ask if anyone knows anything that can help me.

Thanks in advance!

shane_l_s, your backups are as good or bad as your installed windows are.

Different drivers and chip sets will do the damage.

I feel your pain, but invest 4 hours and it will be done : )