Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Pentium 4 or Pentium D?

Last response: in CPUs
October 1, 2012 1:50:48 AM

I have 2 choices for my processor Pentium 4 3.2 GHz HT or Pentium D 3.0 GHz.
Currently I'm using the Pentium 4. I don't know if the Pentium D with 0.2GHz less will make a significant speed boost since its dual core.

Specs:
Ram: DDR2 3.5GB (1.75 per slot)
GPU: GT 430 Evga
CPU: Pentium(R) 4 3.2 GHz

I feel like my processor is bottle necking my pc's performance in games.

More about : pentium pentium

a c 174 à CPUs
October 1, 2012 2:42:21 AM

Matters if the games ur playing utilize the HT of the pentium, personally if a 430gt, and a pentium current fit ur gaming needs, a AMD APU upcoming trinity with the built in gpu will be better than a 430, and of course is a quad core, and prob ur the rest of ur parts will work with a apu and new motherboard. except the ddr2 but 4gb of ddr3 is like $20
So new cpu and motherboard will maybe be like $200 tops if u get the best apu with a good motherboard and ram. a current A8 is $110 for the best one and a cheap good motherboard ranges from $70+, and ram can go from $15+
m
l
October 1, 2012 2:56:42 AM

I like to play Gotham City Imposters but its really lagy. I already have that processor I just need to know if it'll be faster. I don't have the money to buy those sort of things. Im using hand me downs from my brother's super pc.
I also try playing ps2 games but are slow as well, I just dont think its a matter of GPU.
Either way out of those 2 which is faster?
m
l
Related resources
a c 174 à CPUs
October 1, 2012 3:04:29 AM

ok, well the system requirements for the gotham city imposters is a dual core and i guess both cpus will work, but if the pentium single core with HT, and the celeron is a dual core with no HT, then it matters if the game uses the pentium HT, i looked quickly and couldnt find if it does, id look into that more or have someone tell u but if it does use the hyper threading for being a newer game i should, thats all i got lol.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2012 3:05:50 AM

The Pentium D would be about 50-75% faster than the pentium 4 in most games.
I personally had a p4 3.2 with 800meg fsb and 2 meg cach. I dropped a Pentium D 3.0 with 800fsb and 4meg cach in and 3dmark 06 went from 5,000 up to 7,900.
m
l
a c 227 à CPUs
October 1, 2012 3:08:13 AM

A Pentium D is literally 2 Pentium 4 chips on the same die. It is by far a better choice than a Pentium 4 if those are your only choices. Almost every bit of software you use in a day unless you are running a Windows XP box from 2004 that has never had an update does better with at least a dual core processor. In fact having a quad core is pretty much the norm today especially for gaming.

You will never be able to play newer games on either of those processors but the Pentium D is by far the best of the 2.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2012 3:09:52 AM

Whats the chipset on your board? Although both chips are a socket 775 the mother board needs at least an intel 945 to use a pentium D.

An intel 945 should report the ram in each slot as 2gbs and not 1.75 with a 64bit OS.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2012 3:11:18 AM

anort3 said:
A Pentium D is literally 2 Pentium 4 chips on the same die. It is by far a better choice than a Pentium 4 if those are your only choices. Almost every bit of software you use in a day unless you are running a Windows XP box from 2004 that has never had an update does better with at least a dual core processor. In fact having a quad core is pretty much the norm today especially for gaming.

You will never be able to play newer games on either of those processors but the Pentium D is by far the best of the 2.

\My pentium d with 4 gigs of 667 ram and an old 8800gt runs MW3 on medium ish at 1680x1050 no problem.
m
l
October 1, 2012 3:23:04 AM

It says the chip set is i945P/G/GZ. And are the 775 LGA and 775 ports any different? Or is lga irrelevant? My brother says that the mother board only supports 1.75g per PCI slot. And Im running on Windows 7 64 bit
m
l
a c 227 à CPUs
October 1, 2012 3:23:36 AM

Quote:
\My pentium d with 4 gigs of 667 ram and an old 8800gt runs MW3 on medium ish at 1680x1050 no problem

I'm surprised. I skipped the Pentium D. I bought a first gen LGA 775 Pentium 4 530 3.0Ghz with HT and a 6600Ultra when I was at a time I was too busy to really do much gaming and by the time I had time to game again I grabbed a Core2Duo E6600 wth an 8800 GTS 320.
m
l
October 1, 2012 3:25:34 AM

These are the requirements for Gotham city imposters:

Minimum
Processor: Dual Core CPU 2.5 GHz
Memory: 1.5 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 7 GB Hard Drive Space
Video Card: 256MB dedicated memory DX9 Video Card (GeForce 8600 or ATI X1800 or better)
DirectX®: DX9
Sound: DX9 compatible Sound Controller
Additional: Broadband Internet Connection

Recommended
Processor: Quad Core CPU 2 GHz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 7 GB Hard Drive Space
Video Card: 512MB DX9 High-Performance Video Card (GeForce 8800 or ATI X1900 or better)
DirectX®: DX9
Sound: DX9 compatible Sound Controller
Additional: Broadband Internet Connection
m
l
October 1, 2012 3:38:04 AM

I'm sorry I messed up on my ram 4.0 (3.5 usable). 1 stick with 2 GB and 2 sticks with 1 GB. I;m not sure what really is limiting how much is usable.
m
l
October 1, 2012 3:48:24 AM

Your 32bit OS is you need XP x64 which is worse than Vista in all aspects or Windows 7 x64 to utilize more than 3.5gb of ram.

Honestly though I laugh at people that want to spend a fortune to get old computers running when it only costs about 50-100$ to get a brand new machine that runs so much faster. If you don't believe me look at craigslist and look at some of those machines on there.
m
l
October 1, 2012 3:50:31 AM

I have windows 7 64 bit, I think its that my processor is 32-bit.
m
l
October 1, 2012 3:54:05 AM

If you have 64bit windows than you have a 64bit processor since thats a requirement meaning it won't install without a 64bit processor. What it sounds like now is a limitation of your motherboard which usually 99% of the time can't be fixed due to memory mapping.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 1, 2012 3:56:20 AM

If your CPU is 32 bit, you can't be running a 64 bit OS. As for the CPU... the Pentium D will be faster in pretty much every way to the older Pentium.

Part of your problem is that your CPU is going to limit you in every game you play. PS2 emulators are very CPU intensive and some games only run at playable speed on 4+ GHZ i5 / i7 CPUs. It's simply not going to run on a Pentium 4, dual core or otherwise.
October 1, 2012 4:02:39 AM

Best answer selected by darielgames.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2012 4:03:03 AM

anort3 said:

+1, Pentium D has 2x3ghz core inside. Theoretically double speed than P4.
m
l
a c 116 à CPUs
October 1, 2012 4:36:17 AM

mubin said:
+1, Pentium D has 2x3ghz core inside. Theoretically double speed than P4.

Except each of those cores are half as good as Core2's or anything newer than that while using ~50% more power.

If I were in the OP's shoes, I would bite the bullet and go with a platform upgrade to something like Pentium G2120. Around $200 total cost but almost 3X as fast as the Pentium-D (5-6X as fast as OP's current system) and using half as much power for the CPU.

Edit: and this also avoids confusion about "64bitness" while providing OP an opportunity to get 8GB DDR3 for much cheaper than doing so with his old DDR2 platform.
m
l
October 1, 2012 4:37:22 AM

If you are having issues with less RAM showing than you actually have, you could have a hardware problem, such as some bad RAM on a stick for example.

You may have to flash your BIOS. Go to the web site of your motherboard manufacturer, get the information you need so you will know HOW to flash the BIOS. Make sure you type in or select the exact motherboard and version [such as version 1.0 for example], before you flash the BIOS. -- And, do not do anything to stop the computer, like shutting the power off or touching the on/off switch.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2012 4:41:57 AM

I'm pretty sure that Pentium 4 (R) has a 64 bit instruction set (old EMT64 or something like that).
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2012 4:46:53 AM

amuffin said:
Nope!
http://ark.intel.com/products/family/581/Intel-Pentium-...

A majority of them are all 32Bit, same thing with the Core 2 Duo's.

Still, some of them are. OP would have to check with OP's individual model to be sure. I know that my Pentium 4 3GHz HTT 2MB cache and my Pentium D 3.2GHz 2x1MB cache are both 64 bit because I've run 64 bit software on 64 bit operating systems on them.

EDIT: For example, there is a 3.2GHz 64 bit Pentium 4 (a Pentium 4 640).

Of course, P4 is inadequate for what OP wants to do and is thus irrelevant, not that I'm saying otherwise.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2012 5:09:16 AM

InvalidError said:
Except each of those cores are half as good as Core2's or anything newer than that while using ~50% more power.

Just like Core 2 duo's core are half as good as 2nd gen i3.
m
l
a c 227 à CPUs
October 1, 2012 5:43:56 AM

amuffin said:
Nope!
http://ark.intel.com/products/family/581/Intel-Pentium-...

A majority of them are all 32 bit.

Actually the OP has an LGA 775 system. So he more likely than not has a 64 bit processor. The First gen LGA 775 chips were the Pentium 4 5xx chips with 32 bit only. The later 6xx series chips were identcal with the exception of 64 bit addressing. The second generation of LGA 775 Pentium 4 chips also saw revisions in the 5xx series to add 64 bit instructions. These were the 5x1 chps like the 531. All of the Pentium D chips supported 64 bit both 8xx and 9xx series.

I built entirely too many LGA 775 computers. ;) 

CPU-Z will tell you the exact model chip you have.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
m
l
October 1, 2012 6:09:16 AM

I upgraded from a P4 3.4ghz to a 2.2ghz pentium D, Prototype on the p4 was unplayable with a radeon HD6670, but the pentium D made it playable, and if your P4 is a prescott it's 64 bit, I found that out in 07 when I installed a 32 bit version of opensuse linux, it came up with a warning saying I had a 64bit processor and wouldn't get my best performance unless I used a 64bit distro. Also the P4 played mod warfare 1 on low settings but the pentium D played on high settings, plus I could play mod warfare 2 on the pentium D
m
l
a c 116 à CPUs
October 1, 2012 6:13:01 AM

mubin said:
Just like Core 2 duo's core are half as good as 2nd gen i3.

From a quick look at Anand's bench between E8400 and i3-2100, C2D is only half as good as i3 if applications are aggressively threaded to use HT and compiled to use new instructions. Otherwise, C2D is about 75% as good :lol: 

In any case, I suggested upgrading from P4 to Pentium G2120 since going from P4 to P4-D is only trading one polished turd for two polished turds... you now have nearly twice as much but they still aren't really worth anything.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2012 8:38:14 AM

Most of the latest game needs good cpu like i3-2100. Or else, there will be bottleneck, even with a E8400. Even a quad-core phenom ii x4 cant catchup with i3-2100 with high-end gpu installed.
m
l
a c 116 à CPUs
October 1, 2012 11:09:41 AM

If OP had high-end gaming intentions, he would not be worrying about choosing between P4 and P4-D.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2012 12:04:16 PM

mubin said:
Most of the latest game needs good cpu like i3-2100. Or else, there will be bottleneck, even with a E8400. Even a quad-core phenom ii x4 cant catchup with i3-2100 with high-end gpu installed.

Actually, quad-core Phenom IIs keep up with the i3s quite well in modern games and do better compared to them as the games get more well-threaded.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2012 2:35:13 PM

The absolute minimum for any kind of decent gaming is a Pentium G series like a G630.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2012 3:45:19 PM

allanitomwesh said:
The absolute minimum for any kind of decent gaming is a Pentium G series like a G630.

Similarly priced Semprons and Athlon II x2s can be similarly good or even better with overclocking, granted that doesn't matter for people who don't overclock. I'd also like to mention that on my above post with i3 versus Phenom II x4, i3s don't have a chance against Phenom II when overclocking is involved. Power consumption in both examples would obviously be much higher on AMD, but given that the above post mentioned high-end graphics cards, that could be less of an issue than one might think.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2012 5:59:25 PM

luciferano said:
Similarly priced Semprons and Athlon II x2s can be similarly good or even better with overclocking, granted that doesn't matter for people who don't overclock. I'd also like to mention that on my above post with i3 versus Phenom II x4, i3s don't have a chance against Phenom II when overclocking is involved. Power consumption in both examples would obviously be much higher on AMD, but given that the above post mentioned high-end graphics cards, that could be less of an issue than one might think.

The amount spent achieving an overclock to kill a Pentium with an Athlon ii x2 would suddenly put you in a new intel price bracket. Nobody runs a premium card on a Pentium. That's just bad sense. A budget card for 720p,1600x900 gaming thereabout would make more sense. I agree that a phenom x4 is capable,but buying it brand new with enough overclocking equipment to close the gap on an i5 isn't sound. Unless you don't mind the noise.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 1:40:53 PM

allanitomwesh said:
The amount spent achieving an overclock to kill a Pentium with an Athlon ii x2 would suddenly put you in a new intel price bracket. Nobody runs a premium card on a Pentium. That's just bad sense. A budget card for 720p,1600x900 gaming thereabout would make more sense. I agree that a phenom x4 is capable,but buying it brand new with enough overclocking equipment to close the gap on an i5 isn't sound. Unless you don't mind the noise.

Overclocking an Athlon II x2 or Sempron would not put you in a different price bracket, I wasn't saying that you should run a premium card on a Pentium (although Tom's has proven that Pentiums and some Celerons actually can do it in most games), and I don't know why you think that overclocking Phenom II x4 is bad. Noise is not a problem unless you have a bad cooler. Even a Cooler Master Hyper 212 (plus or Evo will cool it fine, but the Evo is a little quieter than the Plus and considerably more expensive) will keep the noise very low while getting a good overclock.

Overclocking a Sempron after you unlock the second core or an already dual-core Athlon II x2 isn't a big deal because they only have two cores. They can hit pretty high frequencies without ridiculous power consumption and eve nsome $15-20 coolers will do the trick just fine. A $50 Athlon II x2 270 with a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 or CNPS5X Performa will be fine and those coolers are only $10-15. When they're on sale for $15-20, some other coolers such as a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus or a Zalman CNPS10X OPTIMA will do great without costing too much.

Most games run fine on a Celeron G530 or better even with cards such as an overclocked GTX 560 Ti according to Tom's SBMs. I wouldn't get such a system, but they were mentioned as an absolute minimum and I replied to that. Games such as BF3 MP could probably bring the Celerons/Pentiums and even well-overclocked Athlon II and unlocked Semprons to their knees, but most games can be run around average 60FPS frame rates with adequate graphics for the settings that you play.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 2:37:34 PM

AMD do have better graphics built into the CPU,but intel performs well without overclocking. Where I live coolers aren't $20. Sucks. So I'd rather an intel chip and a graphics card.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 3:07:38 PM

allanitomwesh said:
AMD do have better graphics built into the CPU,but intel performs well without overclocking. Where I live coolers aren't $20. Sucks. So I'd rather an intel chip and a graphics card.

Where do you live? Also, none of AMD's CPUs have integrated graphics. Their APUs have it and some of the motherboards for their CPUs have it, but their CPUs do not have it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 3:39:58 PM

Don't bulldozer and Trinity chips come with graphics integrated in the chip? Maybe I understood it wrong. You get a pc with a bulldozer chip and it plays games of the bat. No card on the pci e slot. That sound right?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 3:58:05 PM

^^ You've got it wrong m8. On a bulldozer cpu there are no integrated graphics. They use the onboard iGPU on the chipset.
Its usually a radeon HD4250 built into the chipset on most 700/800 and 900 series chipsets and thats how it plays certain games of the bat. those integrated graphics may be good enough for older games but they don't stand a chance against any of the newer games.

BUT trinity does have integrated graphics which are pretty decent for gaming at lower resolutions
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 4:11:41 PM

I still just don't see where anyone can live that has electricity and not have any ~$20 CPU coolers or comparably priced coolers of different currencies at all. What countries have such areas?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 4:39:26 PM

Don't you just love Africa? lol.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 4:44:13 PM

allanitomwesh said:
Don't you just love Africa? lol.

There are seriously no after-market CPU coolers at an equivalent of between $10 and $20 there? How much do these CPUs cost there? Even if the CPU coolers are expensive, I'd think that the ratio of CPU to CPU cooler pricing would be similar and thus the pricing shouldn't be any different by percentage from countries with lower prices.
m
l
a c 116 à CPUs
October 3, 2012 5:09:27 PM

luciferano said:
There are seriously no after-market CPU coolers at an equivalent of between $10 and $20 there?

Even if there were, lots of sub-$20 HSFs are worse than stock or inadequate for 95+W CPUs.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 5:13:09 PM

InvalidError said:
Even if there were, lots of sub-$20 HSFs are worse than stock or inadequate for 95+W CPUs.

Lots of them are also far better. Examples include those that I've mentioned, especially the Optima and the Hyper 212 Plus that can easily handle i5-2500Ks and i5-3570Ks at around 4.3GHz to 4.6GHz (usually around 4.3-4.4GHz with the 3570K) with good temps and low noise.
m
l
a c 116 à CPUs
October 3, 2012 5:26:47 PM

luciferano said:
Lots of them are also far better. Examples include those that I've mentioned, especially the Optima and the Hyper 212 Plus

How often do you see they 212+ listed under $20 regular list price? Without mail-in rebate, bundle promo or other form of special price, it is usually listed somewhere between $25 and $35 depending on retailer.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 6:06:05 PM

InvalidError said:
How often do you see they 212+ listed under $20 regular list price? Without mail-in rebate, bundle promo or other form of special price, it is usually listed somewhere between $25 and $35 depending on retailer.

Re-read my post and notice how I didn't say that the 212 Plus is found under $20 (although it is right at $20 at a few places), I said that the Hyper TX3 is found under $20 (I see it at $13-$15).
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 6:07:16 PM

allanitomwesh said:
Well,the Thermaltake Frio costs $90 here. That seem right to you?
www.starcomss.co.ke/gamers-paradise/power-supply-unit-a...

Which one? There are like five different Frios, maybe more. Some of them are worth around $70-90. That's a very high-end cooler. The coolers that I talked about are lower end for the TX3 and the Performa to mid-ranged such as the Optima and the Hyper 212 Plus.
m
l
a c 116 à CPUs
October 3, 2012 6:20:33 PM

luciferano said:
Re-read my post and notice how I didn't say that the 212 Plus is found under $20

Oh?

"Lots of them are also far better. Examples include those that I've mentioned, especially the Optima and the Hyper 212 Plus"

'them' refers to sub-$20 HSFs in the previous post in that conversation with me. No mention of the TX3 here. So yes, you did imply that the 212+ was available for under $20. I checked a few places and the lowest regular price I have found for it today is $25 or $30 including shipping.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 6:32:15 PM

It's $55 on your newegg link. You're not helping.
m
l
!