Sign in with
Your question

Is SSD worth it?

Last response: in Systems
June 4, 2012 9:42:10 AM

I'm building a gaming PC. Is getting a SSD worth getting with a HDD as well?

More about : ssd worth

a b 4 Gaming
June 4, 2012 9:46:25 AM

It is worth getting, but not if you have to compromise something else to afford it. Yes, you'l want a HDD to store files and such, as SSD's should only hold your Operating System and Programs.
June 4, 2012 9:46:44 AM

Anyone who has one will say yes,
I don't have one as I prefer to centre my money on W/c gear but as soon as ssd's are in my 'affordable' bracket, I'll most likely grab one as well :) 
research obviously as to good brands but even a low end ssd is going to show you an improvement over a mech drive,
most people use a smaller (60-128Gb) ssd for O/s and maybe a few favourite programs, and a mech drive for storage
*Edit, it won't improve gaming btw, only loading times
Moto
Related resources
June 4, 2012 9:51:48 AM

Ok cool I was slightly confused when reading into it. Thanks
a b 4 Gaming
June 4, 2012 9:58:44 AM

Second motos approach. well. besides the WC. There have been a LOT of sales below $1 a gigabyte lately though. I know I don't need it. my load times are fine. sleep mode is faster than an SSD. But its getting tempting. Newegg has/had a crucial m4 256GB for 199. But the money is better sunk into your GPU. or bills. or savings lol
June 4, 2012 9:59:12 AM

No probs man, ask anything you need to before spending the cash, its easier to avoid a bad purchase than recover from one :) 
Moto
June 4, 2012 10:26:24 AM

It depends on you. If you value boot and response times (and speed) then go for it. Otherwise, it would be just an add-on.

I just managed to acquire an SSD since my primary drive died last time and I don't want to buy HDDs with their inflated prices.
a b 4 Gaming
June 4, 2012 11:08:25 AM

get a ssd from a good brand such as crucial, mushkin, intel or patriot. dont get anything from ocz other than the vertex 4. they are unreliable

SSDs are very fast and will destroy any hard drive out there with its boot times (maybe except 15krpm drives)
June 4, 2012 11:59:39 AM

I would say def get an SSD if your budget allows. It's true that for gaming the only impact will be on loading times but using a slower HDD for this will only contribute to your frustration.

After installing my first SSD the main advantage I found was dramatically improved responsiveness when navigating around the Windows desktop.

Just about every application will benefit from such an upgrade.

Good luck.
June 5, 2012 2:21:15 AM

@TheBigTroll: Can you provide a substantial proof that a 15k RPM drive can outpace an SSD? It MAY be possible for sequential reads but for random 4k? No.
June 5, 2012 2:23:54 AM

masterjaw said:
@TheBigTroll: Can you provide a substantial proof that a 15k RPM drive can outpace an SSD? It MAY be possible for sequential reads but for random 4k? No.

That's why he said "MAYBE except 15k rpm drives"
June 5, 2012 2:39:37 AM

^ That's why I want to know how did he managed to come up with that statement. Is it pure speculation? Did he got the data himself based on experience or did he read it from a test conducted somewhere?
June 5, 2012 2:42:37 AM

I think he was just speculating on the fly that maybe it's possible for a 15k rpm to be in the realm of an SSD.

I, personally, didn't take it as any kind of statement of fact. More of a "I think that might be possible" type of comment.
a b 4 Gaming
June 5, 2012 12:03:21 PM

cranked said:
I think he was just speculating on the fly that maybe it's possible for a 15k rpm to be in the realm of an SSD.

yep i was speculating
!