Computer won't boot with geforce 9800 gtx inside

tolq

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Hi everyone,
not sure if my problem belongs in here but,
I've reassembled my old rig that I've had working perfectly for 3 years, and apperantly after a year inside an anti-static bag my old gigabyte geforce 9800 GTX+ causes severe boot issues,

At first the computer booted fine with it inside, allowing me to reach windows installation process, but while windows was loading files(blue screen file load, not the install with the graphics yet) the computer crashed and shut down, and since then i am unable to make it boot with the 9800 inside.

On startup the power will blink and immediatly shut down, and then the computer won't start at all until i remove the card.

I've tried with a different video card and it works fine, managed to install windows and all, so all other components work fine.

I've searched the internet for similar issues and most tend to blame the PSU, but the PSU is brand new 400w, and should have sufficiend power for a single IDE HDD and that video card, but i have tested the card in another machine with a 750w PSU and it acts the same, a perfectly working computer won't boot with that card inside, just drops power and won't start afterwards.

I've tested the card on Gigabyte EP43-DS3L (the board it was on for a few years and the board i intend to run it on if it's not dead)
400w PSU
2x2 GB Ram(tried with one\two sticks, tried all slots)

and on ASUS Crosshair V
TT 750w PSU
8 GB Ram

the PCI and DVI connectors on the card are clean, no signs of rust, corrosion, burns, no swollen up capacitors
what could be the issue with the card?

DM186

Splendid
You say you tested it on the Gigabyte EP43-DS3L. Did it work on that board? If not then your card is no good. Something took a turn for the worst maybe a capacitor did.

In any case it looks like it bit the big one. Things like that happen just sitting around and maybe it got smashed, dropped, who knows, what ever the reason it looks like it is dead. Good luck to you though.

tolq

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
It worked for some time (while win xp was loading files nessecary for installation etc), and then sometime while loading files the computer crashed\rebooted and wont start with the card inside.

It wasn't "sitting around", it was sealed in a ziplock antistatic bag and stored in a box in a dry place, so i see no reason for it to go bad due to bad storage conditions

DM186

Splendid

Wow that is something else. And you said you tryed another card and it worked fine. How old is that card? Also when it was in use how much did you push that card to preform for you?

You are aware of the fact just a little static can render a card useless? Maybe by handling it did something to it. I have to stick with my first assessment that the card is dead.

And I know that sucks. I do feel for you but sometimes we can't controll things that happen. I do however wish you good luck.