Removing A Shortcut Key

I created a "Shortcut Key" to an icon (Ctrl + Alt + Q) to launch an
application. I now upgraded the application to the 2005 version. I should
of deleted the shortcut key first but I did not. Now I can't create the
same Shortcut Key to the new version because the computer thinks that it
already exists.

How can I get rid of the Shortcut Key, so that I can re-create it?

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about removing shortcut

    Delete the existing Shortcut; then create one to the new executable file.
    Gene K

    JCO wrote:
    > I created a "Shortcut Key" to an icon (Ctrl + Alt + Q) to launch an
    > application. I now upgraded the application to the 2005 version. I should
    > of deleted the shortcut key first but I did not. Now I can't create the
    > same Shortcut Key to the new version because the computer thinks that it
    > already exists.
    >
    > How can I get rid of the Shortcut Key, so that I can re-create it?
    >
    > Thanks

    Reboot

    http://www.uscricket.com
    " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:sZQId.10503$J6.9270@trnddc02...
    >I created a "Shortcut Key" to an icon (Ctrl + Alt + Q) to launch an
    > application. I now upgraded the application to the 2005 version. I should
    > of deleted the shortcut key first but I did not. Now I can't create the
    > same Shortcut Key to the new version because the computer thinks that it
    > already exists.
    >
    > How can I get rid of the Shortcut Key, so that I can re-create it?
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks David, that work fine.

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    Reboot

    http://www.uscricket.com
    " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I created a "Shortcut Key" to an icon (Ctrl + Alt + Q) to launch an
    > application. I now upgraded the application to the 2005 version. I
    should
    > of deleted the shortcut key first but I did not. Now I can't create the
    > same Shortcut Key to the new version because the computer thinks that it
    > already exists.
    >
    > How can I get rid of the Shortcut Key, so that I can re-create it?
    >
    > Thanks

    The problem is that the old exe was deleted before the new one could get a
    shortcut key assigned. Therefore that option did not exist. Problem has
    been resolved by rebooting. I did not know that old shortcuts automatically
    resolve themselves after rebooting. The shortcut has now been put on the
    new exe.
    Thanks anyway.

    "Not Me" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > Delete the existing Shortcut; then create one to the new executable file.
    > Gene K
    >
    > JCO wrote:
    > > I created a "Shortcut Key" to an icon (Ctrl + Alt + Q) to launch an
    > > application. I now upgraded the application to the 2005 version. I
    should
    > > of deleted the shortcut key first but I did not. Now I can't create the
    > > same Shortcut Key to the new version because the computer thinks that it
    > > already exists.
    > >
    > > How can I get rid of the Shortcut Key, so that I can re-create it?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    Ctrl + Alt or F12 should not be used as hotkeys.

    Ctrl + Alt = Alt Gr
    F12 is always reserved for an external debugger.

    And don't whinge back at me that the dialog suggests Ctrl + Alt, the dialog is stupid.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:uTujKKXAFHA.600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    Reboot

    http://www.uscricket.com
    " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:sZQId.10503$J6.9270@trnddc02...
    >I created a "Shortcut Key" to an icon (Ctrl + Alt + Q) to launch an
    > application. I now upgraded the application to the 2005 version. I should
    > of deleted the shortcut key first but I did not. Now I can't create the
    > same Shortcut Key to the new version because the computer thinks that it
    > already exists.
    >
    > How can I get rid of the Shortcut Key, so that I can re-create it?
    >
    > Thanks

    The hotkeys are built at every logon. Windows looks on all shortcuts and gets the keys out and registers them.

    http://www.uscricket.com