Building a computer for number crunching with Eclipse

I'm currently using Eclipse to run some java code I've written for crunching a lot of numbers, but I am finding that my applications can take 2-2.5 days sometimes to finish and I'm thinking that means I should upgrade to a better computer and wondering what's the best bare bone parts to get without paying an arm and a leg if I can avoid it.

Currently I am using a 64 bit linux OS with a Phenom II six core CPU, 4 gigs of corsair dominator and 8 gigs of corsair vengeance.

when I run 6 apps at once I see all six cores maxed out for about two days and now I'm starting to need to have 8+ of these running at the same time and thinking I need an 8 core or maybe even a 16 core CPU?

Any and all advice about what hardware I should get would be greatly appreciated! :)
2 answers Last reply
More about building computer number crunching eclipse
  1. Is there nobody with any advice on what kind of hardware would be best for this situation? Hoping for some wisdom! :)
  2. Okay, here's what I'm looking at, please advise me if this is not the right options in your opinions:

AMD FX-8120 8-Core Black Edition Processor Socket AM3+ - FD8120FRGUBOX $160

RAM Corsair 8 GB Vengeance Red PC3-15000 1866mHz 240-pin Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R $56
    (Though I am thinking I will probably want to double this to be on the safe side = $112)

Asus Socket AM3+ M5A78L-M/USB3 w/ AMD 760G/SB710 Chipset, 4xDDR3 1866/1800, ATI HD3000 Video with VGA DVI and HDMI Onboard, PCI Express x16, 2x USB 3.0, 6x SATA 6Gbps $53

But I can't figure out what case I am supposed to get for this mobo. Will most cases fit? How do I tell?
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computer Systems