Sign in with
Your question

Onboard video and graphics card mix question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 5, 2012 8:21:26 PM

hey guys
so i am in the middle of a new build and im thinking about making a small change to my design but im not sure if it will work.
I bought a powercolor hd 6870 eyefinity 6 card for the build intending on having 6 monitors but im beginning to think i might need a 7th monitor. i was considering buying a different mobo with a built in video output and having 6 screens running in an eyefinity group and the 7th screen running outside the group from the mobo output.

after reading around it seems a lot of people are saying you have to disable the onboard graphics to get a graphics card to work. so my first question is, is this true? meaning my idea for the 7th monitor is impossible

my second question is, if you dont have to disable the onboard graphics to use a graphics card, can you have an eyefinity group and another monitor? im hearing you need to have all your monitors in an eyefinity setup or they wont work

and my final question. if i can use the onboard output can i have my 6 monitors runnning from the graphics card but NOT in an eyefinity group? this is incase my second question wont work

hope this is clear
a c 179 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 6, 2012 12:37:10 AM

Ok when you put in a refrence card it automatically disables the on board GPU. Now there is a program out there that will let you us the onboard GPU to work with a CF or by it self.

But the catch is only on certain GPU's and chip sets. I will link you to the info on this. I know in SLI I can't run 6 monitors and have the 7th one doing its thing of the 3 GPU's.

I am assuming that you have two GPU's in CF and you are running 3 monitors off of each. which I think you can do that. But to have a 7th monitor you would have to run a third card.

Anyway here is the link and that has to be awesome to see 6 monitors running at the same time all giving the full spectrum. Like watch one huge TV. I have only seen it in the movies. I do wish you good luck on this I really do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Hybrid_Graphics#Hybrid...
April 6, 2012 12:45:16 AM

hello
thanks very much for the reply

no i do not have 2 GPU just this 1

http://www.powercolor.com/Global/products_features.asp?...

it has 6 mini displayports allowing you to setup an eyefinity group of 6 monitors and effectively turn 6 monitors into 1 large display

so do you think if i add a second cheap gpu i would be able to run a 7th monitor outside of an eyefinity group?

the problem i have then is my pcie run at x8 when the second slot is occupied and im now sure how that might affect the main gpu
a c 179 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 6, 2012 2:13:22 AM

retroguy1987 said:
hello
thanks very much for the reply

no i do not have 2 GPU just this 1

http://www.powercolor.com/Global/products_features.asp?...

it has 6 mini displayports allowing you to setup an eyefinity group of 6 monitors and effectively turn 6 monitors into 1 large display

so do you think if i add a second cheap gpu i would be able to run a 7th monitor outside of an eyefinity group?

the problem i have then is my pcie run at x8 when the second slot is occupied and im now sure how that might affect the main gpu

Yes I do as long as you don't Cross Fire it with the group you will be fine. Good luck to you.
!