Intel Pentium G645 vs Intel i3 2120

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will_H

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Hello there
My name is Wildes and I live in Brazil. =]

So yeah, I recently bought an Asus MB, its a P8H61-M LE/BR, its got a 1155 socket.
Ive been saving money for mounting this new computer and now I just need to buy the processor and the RAM cars.
When it comes to eletronics, theyre all VERY expensive here in Brazil, I paid R$220,00 bucks for that motherboard, thats like 110 US dollars.
Im really desparate because my laptop is crazy, its temperatures are going really high and my processor (AMD Turion X2 mobile 2GHz) runs at 160ºF the graphics is always around 200ºF for some reason so whenever I play a 720p video it starts freezing or the FPS drops, it doesnt play 1080p though LOL, so yeah, I really hate my laptop cuz I cant watch my movies and series.
I had a computer running an i3 (2100 3.1GHz) in the beginning of the year and it was awesome, It would open all of my videos, even the ones that my friends Core 2 Duo had a hard time to open.
I sold this computer I had in the beginning of the year and now Im mouting a new one. In January I bought the i3 2100 for R$260,00 (130 US dollars), but theyre not selling it anymore, only the 2100 one and Brazil increased its taxes on imported eletronics and the processor costs now R$400,00 (200 US dollars) and I will have only R$400,00 bucks to spend this month so I thought about buying this Intel Pentium G645 which has got a 2,9GHz clock and costs R$190,00.
I wont play heavy games on this computer, Ill only play 720p and 1080p videos on it,

Do you guys think think I should wait a little bit more and buy an i3 processor or I should just buy this Pentium one, since the only apparent differences are that the i3 processor has got 400 MHz and 2 threads more than the pentium D processor and the RAM memory runs only at 1066MHz with the pentium D one. So what do you guys think?

( Sorry for the long details! ;] )

Solution
+1.

I've used both a G620 and an i3-2120 in desktop settings and can't tell the difference between the two. When you start gaming, an i3 will be better. That being said, you can build a budget rig capable of playing Skyrim at 1080p on max settings based on a G620. But for you, considering you're not gaming, go for the G645.

Jay-Z

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Without heavy gaming, the Pentium should be enough for your needs if you are just using it as a media pc.

Of course, if you can save and afford the i3, by all means get it, it is far ahead.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
+1.

I've used both a G620 and an i3-2120 in desktop settings and can't tell the difference between the two. When you start gaming, an i3 will be better. That being said, you can build a budget rig capable of playing Skyrim at 1080p on max settings based on a G620. But for you, considering you're not gaming, go for the G645.

Solution

Will_H

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
thanks for the answers guys!
Well, i didnt buy the G645, they ran out of it in my city so I bought a G630 which is 2.7GHz, 3mb cache and it runs my RAMs at 1066MHz.
Well, I felt its a little bit slower than the i3 I had, like, its slower to boot up Windows 7 and its slower to extract files and encode videos but at the same time its got a good performance, I can perfectly play 1080p videos and open many other aplications and the processor wont even reach 100% =D
I feel relived cuz i cant barely open a 720p on my AMD Turion laptop.

Will_H

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

Hey,
even though I only use my computer for media and stuff, do you think its worth buying a 120gb or a 240gb SSD so I could have a 'faster' system, Ive never used a computer running with a SSD. Ive heard it takes like 20 seconds for Windows 7 to boot up.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

Yeah, it'll make a big difference. If you can afford it, an SSD on any PC system is a must, IMHO. You don't even need SATA 3 to get a decent speed boost; my HTPC has a SATA 2 SSD and it's rapid.

ceej_55

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012

You most likely suffer from the dreaded ROHS lead free solder problem. If you google the net, you'll find instructions on how to take apart the laptop down to the motherboard. Remove all the thermal pads, replace with new ones OR buy some good thermal paste and cut a piece of copper to shim up the GPU.

Before doing the above, reheat the GPU for a about a minute and 10 seconds with a paint stripping gun (set on low) from about 1 to inches above the GPU - also, very important step - cut a square out of the center of a piece of aluminum foil and place over GPU. You need to protect the other components from heat when doing this - there are plenty of videos on you tube for home re-flowing GPU's - I also used no clean flux which seemed to help.

Those who say "don't do this" well, OK. I have personally done this to 4 laptops. No heat problems anymore and 2 of them came back from the dead. I am typing this from a laptop where the GPU was reaching temps of 100c - now it's about 45c - 52c
Saved some serious cash by doing this. My other choice was to throw them over a 100 ft cliff. You know, to test the overall durability claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.