Sign in with
Your question

New HiS HD 6950 and P5N-e SLI / Hiper Type M 630w problem?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 5, 2012 8:44:07 PM

Hi,

I just got a new graphics card, a HiS HD 6950 ICEQ and can't seem to get it working.

It's all connected fine, but when I power up the PC the card's fan is very loud and I don't get any kind of picture. Windows actually boots fine (I can hear the start up sound), but I can't see anything.

I'm not 100% what's going on here, but I think that the card is either incompatible with the MOBO (ASUS P5N-e SLI) or it isn't getting enough power.

The card requires two 6-pin PCI-E connectors, but I only have one; fortunately it comes with two little converters that each take two 4-pin power cables and give you a 6-pin connector - problem solved. HOWEVER, in the installation instructions they recommend not using this kind of setup, but instead have a PSU that has two 6-pin connectors... even though they supply you with the equipment to do so.

So, can anyone please give me a little advice here. As I see it I'm doing something very wrong or I need to get a new MOBO or a new PSU, and I don't particularly want to buy one and find out its not necessary.

Thanks!
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2012 8:46:22 PM

stinkypickle said:
Hi,

I just got a new graphics card, a HiS HD 6950 ICEQ and can't seem to get it working.

It's all connected fine, but when I power up the PC the card's fan is very loud and I don't get any kind of picture. Windows actually boots fine (I can hear the start up sound), but I can't see anything.

I'm not 100% what's going on here, but I think that the card is either incompatible with the MOBO (ASUS P5N-e SLI) or it isn't getting enough power.

The card requires two 6-pin PCI-E connectors, but I only have one; fortunately it comes with two little converters that each take two 4-pin power cables and give you a 6-pin connector - problem solved. HOWEVER, in the installation instructions they recommend not using this kind of setup, but instead have a PSU that has two 6-pin connectors... even though they supply you with the equipment to do so.

So, can anyone please give me a little advice here. As I see it I'm doing something very wrong or I need to get a new MOBO or a new PSU, and I don't particularly want to buy one and find out its not necessary.

Thanks!

What kind of PSU?
April 5, 2012 9:04:50 PM

gary1 said:
What kind of PSU?

Sorry, I mentioned it in the subject but not the post. It's a Hiper Type M 630w.
April 6, 2012 8:54:31 AM

Any ideas?

I'm leaning towards heading out on a PSU hunt later today...
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 6, 2012 9:04:55 AM

Are you sure it's that power supply? In the link it says it has 4 PCIe connectors, and you said you had only 1.
April 6, 2012 9:22:56 AM

Yeah I think so.

It has a 4pin going into the mobo, one 6pin and two 8pin that I have no use for.
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 6, 2012 9:49:18 AM

Well, that 4 pin isn't PCIe connector, I'd suggest you look for the one more 6 pin one ;) 
April 6, 2012 10:09:52 AM

Nope! I've just taken the whole thing out and counted. There are:

2 x 8pin pcie
1 x 6pin pcie
1 x 4pin in a block going into mobo
3 x 4pin in a line (molex I think?)
5 x sata
and then the big thing going into the mobo
April 6, 2012 10:10:45 AM

Oops, I meant 4 x sata.
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 6, 2012 10:34:57 AM

Okay, how many amperes are there for 12V rail? Could you take a picture?
April 6, 2012 12:24:23 PM

I've just taken a picture, but there's no point in uploading it as it is the same as the PSU in the link above.

So I think the answer would be 18.
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 6, 2012 12:46:49 PM

hmm. Do you have a friend in whose computer you could try your new graphics card? That could answer our question whether it's the graphics card that's dead or the power supply.

Also, are you connecting your monitor directly to your graphics card, and not the motherboard? If you are not, that's your problem.
April 6, 2012 12:50:19 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have anyone nearby at the moment who could help me test it.

What do you mean about connecting the monitor? I have a DVI lead going into the graphics card, which is connected to the motherboard. Surely there's no other way to connect them?
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 6, 2012 1:44:37 PM

Some motherboards have video outputs directly on them, and not on the graphics card. The right way to connect graphics card to your monitor is using the cable on one end on the graphics card, and another end on the monitor. If your DVI cable is plugged in directly to the graphics card, then you're OK.
April 6, 2012 2:15:22 PM

Oh ok.

Having looked further into this, it seems that my motherboard is a PCI-E 1.0 and the graphics card is a PCI-E 2.1 and, while PCI-E versions are reportedly backward compatible, it seems that sometimes they don't quite work.

I'm not quite sure how I'm going to find out exactly what is wrong without, like you say, testing it in another machine. Though it does seem strange that the machine does actually boot to Windows (having heard the start-up sound) - I would have thought if the mobo had a problem with a component that was connected to it then it would do something. But then, if there isn't enough power getting to the graphics card, would it even communicate with the mobo (if the card's fans are working you'd think it was getting enough power).

Any more ideas?

Thanks for your help so far.
April 12, 2012 8:44:13 PM

For future reference; I bought a new motherboard and the graphics card works fine. So it's official: the HD 6950 doesn't work with the ASUS P5N-E SLI.
!