Sign in with
Your question

Active Directory

Last response: in Business Computing
September 19, 2011 2:23:09 PM

Hello,

I am currently working for a Sheriff's Office, I help manage their network. I recently ran into a problem with one of the users accounts; she is unable to access the shared folders we got setup. Its telling her she does not have access to them, but when i go into active directory she is part of the group that is suppose to be able to access them. Someone that is part of the exact same groups as her can log onto the computer and is able to access the folders.

So i was wondering if anyone knows what might cause this issue.

Thanks,

Jacob

More about : active directory

September 19, 2011 2:39:24 PM

Has the user having the problem restarted her system since you set up the share? If not, I suggest she do so.

Also, in your comparison, do both of the users discussed have the same user rights on their systems, as well as the server?
September 19, 2011 2:45:30 PM

Right click my computer then manage on the server, browse the list of shares until you find the one you need. Then check the user has permission in the sharing tab and security tab.

Also check to see if the user has any deny permissions for the shared folders because they over rule allow permissions.
Related resources
September 20, 2011 5:57:17 PM

Background: When you add a user to a group, they need to log off and log back on to get the group membership associated. This may have been the issue as suggested by COLGeek.

As bumnut is saying, you'll want to make sure that the Share permissions are set to at least Read for either the User or the Group the user is a member of.

On the Security tab you will want to make sure the user or the user's group has the correct permissions applied as well.

Make sure the user is logging into the domain and not onto the local computer. If you are being prompted for a username/password, the credentials are not being passed. This may mean they are logged into the computer locally or the password does not match the Active Directory account for starters.
September 21, 2011 8:31:15 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. The problem i was having was solved by me going to each folder and adding the group under security and checking what that group can do to that folder. Again thanks for all the help.
September 22, 2011 12:55:21 PM

Future reference you can go into Advanced on a folder that has the correct security rights and check the second box down to force a propogation of those rights on child containers and files.
September 23, 2011 1:37:30 AM

So what your saying is all i have to do is set that for the folder and any folder or file inside that folder will get the same settings?
!