Solved

HP Desktop upgrade question

Hi. I recently purchased an HP P7-1225 desktop. I saw that you can increase the graphics power by using dual graphics mode with the APU on the AMD site, but theres a thought on the back of my head that's confusing me, I want to add a 6670 to use the dual graphics mode however I only got a pci x16 slot and not a 2.0 slot do I need to upgrade the mobo with one that has a pci 2.0 slot or will the pci x16 slot work just fine dual graphics mode? Also my APU is the AMD A8-3820 which is not listed on the site but the Radeon 6550D which is the CPU's graphic is. Will that affect dual graphics mode? This is the computer I purchased.

Thanks for answering.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about desktop upgrade question
  1. Best answer
    PCI is forward and backward compatible. Whatever you stick in will work at the highest speed both MB and Card support.

Look at cards other than a 6670. Getting the APU to help the graphics card is nice, but if you want good gaming graphics you'll want more than a 6670. (if your budget just covers the 6670 you'll find it's much better than the APU graphics).

You have a 300w power supply: Total wattage: 300W That will support about 100w of graphics. Something like an HD7770 will give you a lot of gaming w/o needing a new power supply. HD7770 uses 80w max. The hd6670 is about 63-66w.

Read this is you go with the HD6670 and dual graphics: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/753321.aspx
  2. 7770? Is that card even compatible with the pcix16 since it' a 3.0 card?
  3. iblewupzeworld said:
    7770? Is that card even compatible with the pcix16 since it' a 3.0 card?

Yes, PCI is backwards compatible.
  4. Best answer selected by iblewupzeworld.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Desktops Hewlett Packard Graphics Systems