How to setup default folder settiings?

Hi

That's my question I have got very long.
When I create a new folder I always a folder with settings I don't want so I have to cahnge this settings everytime.

How to make this easier??

Michael
6 answers Last reply
More about setup default folder settiings

    "Michael Schrading" <ms@yesno.de> wrote:

    >When I create a new folder I always a folder with settings I don't want so I have to cahnge this settings everytime.

    Make your settings for one folder, then go to Tools > Folder Options >
    View and press the "Apply to all Folders" button.
    This applies the same settings to new folders automatically as well.

    --
    (tm)

    Thanks.

    But than all previous existing folders have also this change and all setting I have done with laboriously work are gone :-(

    There is no real control! Or?

    Michael

    "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:e4IynKyAFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > "Michael Schrading" <ms@yesno.de> wrote:
    >
    >>When I create a new folder I always a folder with settings I don't want so I have to cahnge this settings everytime.
    >
    > Make your settings for one folder, then go to Tools > Folder Options >
    > View and press the "Apply to all Folders" button.
    > This applies the same settings to new folders automatically as well.
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

    "Michael Schrading" <ms@yesno.de> wrote:

    >But than all previous existing folders have also this change and all setting I have done with laboriously work are gone :-(
    >There is no real control! Or?

    Indeed. You can better things with this procedure:
    Delete the Registry keys
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags and
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU, both with
    all the subentries, then create new keys "BagMRU" and "Bags" here. At
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam create a new
    DWORD entry
    BagMRU Size
    and set this to
    5000 (decimal)
    Restart the computer.
    This will reset all folder settings, but the cache for folder settings
    is enlarged then, so that more folder layouts can be saved.

    --
    (tm)

    What I want to see is a way to setup the views differently for specific
    folders.

    Example: I set my folder up for music, add the fields I want and arange them
    just how I want them and goto folder /view settings and make all folders
    like that one.. Ok so that is great and all, But now all my folders on all
    drives are that way until I change them individually, or thru folder
    options/view and reset them all to something els.. Err... Drives me nuts.. I
    just want to be able to setup my music filder, and have all subfolders
    underneath it take on those settings and not alter all folders on my
    computer... Anyone figured out how to do that...?

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:11:31 -0800, NetRider wrote:

    > just want to be able to setup my music filder, and have all subfolders
    > underneath it take on those settings and not alter all folders on my
    > computer... Anyone figured out how to do that...?

    It involves some moving of files and folders. Create a new folder. Add some
    subfolders. Move music files in. Then go into properties for the main
    folder and use the Customize tab to make it into a music folder. Check the
    box to apply to all subfolders and click OK.

    NOTE: You might be able to create and customize a new music folder and then
    move already customized subfolders in if you say yes to the question about
    including the desktop.ini files. Might work. You could test out this method
    by using some "dummy folders" to see if it will save you some work or not.

    The first suggestion is more work but at least you would know that the
    customizations will be applied for sure.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Hi

    Thank you. And as I can notice. This is a problem also for other user.

    I don't want to change manually in the Registry in case of any error, which could crash down my system ;-|
    But maybe there is any tool which could do this for sure so I can control this from one place for all kinds of folder types.
    Great in here would be to control the list in diff folder types for sounds, videos, normal data etc...

    Michael

    "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:esiiETGBFHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > "Michael Schrading" <ms@yesno.de> wrote:
    >
    >>But than all previous existing folders have also this change and all setting I have done with laboriously work are gone :-(
    >>There is no real control! Or?
    >
    > Indeed. You can better things with this procedure:
    > Delete the Registry keys
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags and
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU, both with
    > all the subentries, then create new keys "BagMRU" and "Bags" here. At
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam create a new
    > DWORD entry
    > BagMRU Size
    > and set this to
    > 5000 (decimal)
    > Restart the computer.
    > This will reset all folder settings, but the cache for folder settings
    > is enlarged then, so that more folder layouts can be saved.
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

Configuration Default Customization Windows XP