Sign in with
Your question

Asus A8AE-LE Amberine with 5450

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 6, 2012 1:03:20 AM

Hey everyone, first time posting!
I have an oldie here. I have an old Hp with the Asus A8AE-LE Amberine and a amd 3800+ 64cpu and 1.5 gb. ram installed. Everything has been tested (3 times over =)) and works fine. I have installed windows 7 64bit on it and it handles it fine so far haha. Anyways I have a hd5450 here, and the system meets the requirements other than pci e 2.0, its a 1.0. I have heard many times that it wouldn't matter, but who knows. Also I just recently updated the bios to 1.15. When I have the card in the cpu fan will speed up, and no video at all.

There is also the wonderful problem of error no system fan.....Any help on these problems I have would be wonderful. Thanks everyone!
September 8, 2012 10:21:27 PM

modcow said:
Hey everyone, first time posting!
I have an oldie here. I have an old Hp with the Asus A8AE-LE Amberine and a amd 3800+ 64cpu and 1.5 gb. ram installed. Everything has been tested (3 times over =)) and works fine. I have installed windows 7 64bit on it and it handles it fine so far haha. Anyways I have a hd5450 here, and the system meets the requirements other than pci e 2.0, its a 1.0. I have heard many times that it wouldn't matter, but who knows. Also I just recently updated the bios to 1.15. When I have the card in the cpu fan will speed up, and no video at all.

There is also the wonderful problem of error no system fan.....Any help on these problems I have would be wonderful. Thanks everyone!

September 8, 2012 10:24:46 PM

i just bought one today on a8ae-le motherboard no video from on board nor graphic card and strange enough the 80gb sata hard drive makes a ticking sound whenever the card is plugged in need help
Related resources
September 8, 2012 11:05:47 PM

To the OP, is there a video showing up on the onboard? And for a card like the 5450 1.0 and 2.0 PCI-e shouldn't matter.

If you are getting no system fan errors, that means that the motherboard is not picking up the system fan from the motherboard. If you have a case fan, plug it into the motherboard to get rid of the error.
October 4, 2012 9:39:51 PM

I had the same issue when trying to put in a cheap 5450 yesterday. The card works in other PCs but not the A8AE-LE. I had to swap over a GT220 from another HTPC instead, which boots right up without problems on this board.

I tried flashing the 'unlocked' 3.15 BIOS but it still exhibits the same behavior.
October 5, 2012 12:53:43 AM

Can you access the BIOS with the "no system fan" error?

If you can, you would see what are the problems under the System Monitor tab.

-Bloc97
October 16, 2012 12:57:17 AM

This is a little late now - but for anyone else having issues on this system - I have the exact same set-up.
I had run that same video card on a similar (A8NSLI-premium) system board for only a few months and then started getting IRQ errors on the desktop for no real reason.
Then the system shutdown a few times after successfully starting - at random intervals, again for no visible reason.
I did a bios update looking for the problem and got lucky - it could have shut down during that.
Finally it just wouldn't boot at all. Push power button and it powers off after 1/2 a second. Sometimes getting through POST in BIOS and then shutoff, and then just straight to instant off.
Changed back to the original M/B (A8AE-LE) and installed pretty much all the hardware from the SLI board onto it.
Still had boot-up death.
It turned out to be the video card.
After countless memory and processor reconfigurations, I pulled out the Radeon 5450 and used the onboard video and the system came back up like nothing had ever happened.
Successfully boots up now with no further problem except that I now have to find a video card that won't burn up in just a few months.
I was running multi boot boot Linux distro's if that makes a difference - and it might - considering the different drivers available.
Even if your running just WinXP with all the correct drivers don't overlook a failed video card.
That one caused me some headaches.
Good luck if you have the same issue.
March 20, 2013 11:09:14 AM

Had exactly the same problem. Bought a ATI 5450 to replace the ATI 4550 and it would not boot with the 5450 in. Put the 4550 back in and it worked fine. Installed Ubuntu 10.10 on it and worked great. Currently running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with the board, ATI 4550 and an Athlon 3500 chip. The ATI 5450 worked in other boards first time and is currently sitting in an AM2 machine.
March 20, 2013 11:20:32 AM

So far, I just gave up on the whole set up and I installed that card into a family members pc and its been working great ever since. Thanks for all of the replies everyone.
!