Connecting via Static routing

wunof11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I have a Linksys WRT120N connected to the internet with IP address 192.168.1.1. It provides connectivity via fixed and dynamic IPs to 6 client Win 7 PCs , a Windows Server 2003 machine, Dlink NAS, and a DVR. All work fine across machines and to the internet.

I have another set of 2 machines with WinXP Pro installed functioning together via a Dlink Switch using Fixed IPs 123.123.123.23 and 24. This was set up by our digital radiology vendor. It also seems the applications they have installed rely on the fixed IP configured so I can just go changing the config without blowing up the applications.

What I need to do is connect the Win XP machines to the WRT120N to allow me to back up to the NAS, no internet connectivity for the XP machines is required. I can cable the Dlink switch to the WRT120N router but I was advised that I need to set up a static route between the XP machines into the WRT120N. Here’s the problem:

Under the WRT120Ns Advanced outing tab, and my understanding of linksys’s instructions I try to set up: Destination IP 123.123.123.23 (also tried 24), Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway 192.168.1.1. When the Interface is set up as LAN/Wireless I get the error ‘ incorrect interface’, if I set it to WAN(internet) the error is ‘ invalid default gateway’.

What am I missing? Or is there a simpler way to accomplish this connection?

Thanks…

Solution
you can use the "route" command to manually add the 123.123.123.0 subnet to route to the local device.

They way your network works is your computer compares your subnet against the IP that you're trying to connect to. Since the subnet is different, it forwards the packet to your gateway and lets your gateway figure out where it needs to go.

By using the "route" command and manually adding the subnet, you can by-pass forwarding to your gateway and just drop the packet on the local network. You will have to add the 192.168.1.0 subnet to the other machines though.

BTW, who ever setup the addresses to be 123.123.123.x is stupid. Those are valid IP addresses on the internet. If you had to connect to an IP of 123.123.123.23 on the...

wunof11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Would this entail running a second set of LAN cables from the two standalone PCs? or would these replace the cabling from the original lan cards on the fixed IPs?

Thanks

Kewlx25

Distinguished
you can use the "route" command to manually add the 123.123.123.0 subnet to route to the local device.

They way your network works is your computer compares your subnet against the IP that you're trying to connect to. Since the subnet is different, it forwards the packet to your gateway and lets your gateway figure out where it needs to go.

By using the "route" command and manually adding the subnet, you can by-pass forwarding to your gateway and just drop the packet on the local network. You will have to add the 192.168.1.0 subnet to the other machines though.

BTW, who ever setup the addresses to be 123.123.123.x is stupid. Those are valid IP addresses on the internet. If you had to connect to an IP of 123.123.123.23 on the internet, your computer wouldn't know if it needs to connect to the local machine or the internet one.

Solution

wunof11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Hi all,

Thanks for your inputs. after further research it seems the particular router will not support a static route set up to other than an IP set in the same range (192.168.x.x) it already is configured for. I am contacting the vendor to see what problems I could run into if we just changed the fixed IPs of the 123,123,123,xx machines to something within that 192.168.x.x range. Barring that I'm interested in Kewlx25 suggestion as it seem less 'sweatwork' than a second NIC and cable set up.

Kewlx25, when you say 'you can use the "route" command to manually add the 123.123.123.0 subnet to route to the local device. ' which local device are you referring to? the PC with fixed IP 123.123.123.xx?

wunof11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
My vendor finally agreed to change the IP addresses and any application configuration to place the fixed IP machines on the same network. Thanks all for your help and inputs.