Quick way of opening a file in Wordpad via file explorer?

Hi. Is there a way to open a file in Wordpad / Notepad via the buttons on
the toolbar when navigating in directories? The "Customize Toolbar" dialog
only has a limited number of operations. I open files in Wordpad very
frequently (that often do not have a wordpad associated file extension). So
to save me from right clicking it, hovering over "Open With..." and clicking
Wordpad, can I just have a button? Is there a better way of doing it?

Cheers.
2 answers Last reply
More about quick opening file wordpad file explorer

    "Muneer Ilyas" <none> wrote:
    | Hi. Is there a way to open a file in Wordpad / Notepad via the buttons on
    | the toolbar when navigating in directories? The "Customize Toolbar" dialog
    | only has a limited number of operations. I open files in Wordpad very
    | frequently (that often do not have a wordpad associated file extension). So
    | to save me from right clicking it, hovering over "Open With..." and clicking
    | Wordpad, can I just have a button? Is there a better way of doing it?
    |
    | Cheers.

    The following will give you a "Wordpad" entry when you right-click on any file:

    Start
    Run
    regedit
    Enter

    For all files with an extension:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Wordpad

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Wordpad\command
    (Default)
    REG_SZ
    "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe" "%1"

    For all files without an extension:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.
    (Default)
    REG_SZ
    NoExtension

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NoExtension
    (Default)
    REG_SZ
    Files without extension

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NoExtension\Shell

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NoExtension\Shell\Wordpad

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NoExtension\Shell\Wordpad\Command
    (Default)
    REG_SZ
    "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe" "%1"

    Ah, that's great. Thanks a lot :).

    > The following will give you a "Wordpad" entry when you right-click on any
    > file:
    >
    > Start
    > Run
    > regedit
    > Enter
    >
    > For all files with an extension:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Wordpad
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Wordpad\command
    > (Default)
    > REG_SZ
    > "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe" "%1"
    >

    > For all files without an extension:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.
    > (Default)
    > REG_SZ
    > NoExtension
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NoExtension
    > (Default)
    > REG_SZ
    > Files without extension
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NoExtension\Shell
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NoExtension\Shell\Wordpad
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NoExtension\Shell\Wordpad\Command
    > (Default)
    > REG_SZ
    > "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe" "%1"

Configuration Explorer Customization Windows XP