Quick way of opening a file in Wordpad via file explorer?

January 24, 2005 12:08:08 AM

Hi. Is there a way to open a file in Wordpad / Notepad via the buttons on
the toolbar when navigating in directories? The "Customize Toolbar" dialog
only has a limited number of operations. I open files in Wordpad very
frequently (that often do not have a wordpad associated file extension). So
to save me from right clicking it, hovering over "Open With..." and clicking
Wordpad, can I just have a button? Is there a better way of doing it?

Cheers.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 12:28:19 PM

"Muneer Ilyas" <none> wrote:
| Hi. Is there a way to open a file in Wordpad / Notepad via the buttons on
| the toolbar when navigating in directories? The "Customize Toolbar" dialog
| only has a limited number of operations. I open files in Wordpad very
| frequently (that often do not have a wordpad associated file extension). So
| to save me from right clicking it, hovering over "Open With..." and clicking
| Wordpad, can I just have a button? Is there a better way of doing it?
|
| Cheers.

The following will give you a "Wordpad" entry when you right-click on any file:

Start
Run
regedit
Enter

For all files with an extension:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Wordpad

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Wordpad\command
(Default)
REG_SZ
"C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe" "%1"

For all files without an extension:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.
(Default)
REG_SZ
NoExtension

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NoExtension
(Default)
REG_SZ
Files without extension

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NoExtension\Shell

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NoExtension\Shell\Wordpad

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NoExtension\Shell\Wordpad\Command
(Default)
REG_SZ
"C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe" "%1"
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 12:28:20 PM

Ah, that's great. Thanks a lot :) .

!