Best Digital Camera for a 3 Year Old?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 19, 2005 5:16:35 PM

My quite precocious three year old daughter has become interested in
taking photographs. I am willing to experiment and get her a digital
camera of her own (I shoot film, but for obvious reasons feel she
should not). Does anyone know of a digital camera that is very easy to
use, maybe with nothing more than a viewfinder and a big button. Or
possibly with the ability to set it on 'super-auto' mode. The Barbie
camera requires a serial port which my computer does not have, and it
looks particularly lousy. I'm perfectly willing to spend a few hundred
bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.

Any advice? Thanks

-Josh

More about : digital camera year

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:05:01 PM

Ritz has a listing of Children's cameras:
http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Cat...

Anyways, go for the cheap ones (eg. $99 Kodak digital etc on sale, if
not above), and look for the ones w/o zoom (which will snap off) and
have a more rugged design.

These will be good for the kids to learn on until they stop breaking
them - that's when you can move them up to the more expensive stuff.
July 19, 2005 9:22:56 PM

Josh wrote:
> My quite precocious three year old daughter has become interested in
> taking photographs. I am willing to experiment and get her a digital
> camera of her own (I shoot film, but for obvious reasons feel she
> should not). Does anyone know of a digital camera that is very easy to
> use, maybe with nothing more than a viewfinder and a big button. Or
> possibly with the ability to set it on 'super-auto' mode. The Barbie
> camera requires a serial port which my computer does not have, and it
> looks particularly lousy. I'm perfectly willing to spend a few hundred
> bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.
>
> Any advice? Thanks
>
> -Josh

I started my kids (5 and 8 years old now) with a few disposable cameras
- $4 for each camera and $4 for developing. One kid enjoyed it, and now
has a cheap Kodak CX7300 3 Mpixel fixed focus which she loves and uses
regularly. The other didn't maintain an interest and now is on to other
things - and I'm only out $20 to find this out.

At 3 years old, I'd kind of wonder whether the interest is less in
photography and more in doing what her parents are doing.... but hey,
it's your nickle....

ECM
July 19, 2005 10:33:14 PM

On 19 Jul 2005 13:16:35 -0700, Josh wrote:

> I'm perfectly willing to spend a few hundred
> bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.

> Any advice? Thanks

Fuji's little A series cameras fit nicely in small hands, take
nice pictures and are very easy to use. You can't accidentally get
stuck in a manual mode since it has none. Well, it does have one,
but there are none of the usual aperture or shutter speed controls,
but it does allow for a degree of exposure compensation. The
current models are the A345 and A350, but the slightly older A330
(and sometimes the A310) are sometimes found. All should be
available for at most $200, and some for $150 or less. They also
use easily obtained AA batteries, so if something is done that might
damage a battery, replacements cost only pennies. Up to $4.00 if
NiMH batteries are used, not up to $40 or $50 dollars that a
proprietary battery would cost. And if your daughter takes the
camera with her on a trip, there's no need to bring along a charger,
as 2 extra AA alkaline batteries can be bought anywhere for very
little cost, if needed.

BTW, I just checked a review magazine, the UK's "Digital Camera
Buyer" and in the brief reviews of the Fuji A330 and A340 it says:

[A330]
> Comment: The Fujifilm A330 is a solid performer and incorporates
> all the essentials that beginners will find useful.

[A340]
> Comment: A great camera for the kids or those wishing to make
> the switch to digital a quick and painless one.
July 19, 2005 11:57:05 PM

How about a few crayons for the rug rat?
"ASAAR" <caught@22.com> wrote in message
news:o buqd11o0r7eknm9cj4jqq02hrsujukk08@4ax.com...
> On 19 Jul 2005 13:16:35 -0700, Josh wrote:
>
>> I'm perfectly willing to spend a few hundred
>> bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.
>
>> Any advice? Thanks
>
> Fuji's little A series cameras fit nicely in small hands, take
> nice pictures and are very easy to use. You can't accidentally get
> stuck in a manual mode since it has none. Well, it does have one,
> but there are none of the usual aperture or shutter speed controls,
> but it does allow for a degree of exposure compensation. The
> current models are the A345 and A350, but the slightly older A330
> (and sometimes the A310) are sometimes found. All should be
> available for at most $200, and some for $150 or less. They also
> use easily obtained AA batteries, so if something is done that might
> damage a battery, replacements cost only pennies. Up to $4.00 if
> NiMH batteries are used, not up to $40 or $50 dollars that a
> proprietary battery would cost. And if your daughter takes the
> camera with her on a trip, there's no need to bring along a charger,
> as 2 extra AA alkaline batteries can be bought anywhere for very
> little cost, if needed.
>
> BTW, I just checked a review magazine, the UK's "Digital Camera
> Buyer" and in the brief reviews of the Fuji A330 and A340 it says:
>
> [A330]
>> Comment: The Fujifilm A330 is a solid performer and incorporates
>> all the essentials that beginners will find useful.
>
> [A340]
>> Comment: A great camera for the kids or those wishing to make
>> the switch to digital a quick and painless one.

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 12:16:42 AM

Josh wrote:
> My quite precocious three year old daughter has become interested in
> taking photographs. I am willing to experiment and get her a digital
> camera of her own (I shoot film, but for obvious reasons feel she
> should not). Does anyone know of a digital camera that is very easy to
> use, maybe with nothing more than a viewfinder and a big button. Or
> possibly with the ability to set it on 'super-auto' mode. The Barbie
> camera requires a serial port which my computer does not have, and it
> looks particularly lousy. I'm perfectly willing to spend a few hundred
> bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.
>
> Any advice? Thanks
>
> -Josh

You should be able to find a simple 2or 3mp camera that can use AA
batteries, and take pretty good pictures for about $50. Suggest Kodak
for the beginner.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:57:05 -0400, clint wrote:

> How about a few crayons for the rug rat?

Only if you can still find a set with Burnt Umber.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 1:29:30 AM

On 19 Jul 2005 13:16:35 -0700, "Josh" <jayelwin@gmail.com> wrote:

>My quite precocious three year old daughter has become interested in
>taking photographs. I am willing to experiment and get her a digital
>camera of her own (I shoot film, but for obvious reasons feel she
>should not). Does anyone know of a digital camera that is very easy to
>use, maybe with nothing more than a viewfinder and a big button. Or
>possibly with the ability to set it on 'super-auto' mode. The Barbie
>camera requires a serial port which my computer does not have, and it
>looks particularly lousy. I'm perfectly willing to spend a few hundred
>bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.
>
>Any advice? Thanks

You could pick up a second hand digital camera, say, around 1.3 mega pixels, for around $30 these days.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 8:21:57 AM

Josh wrote:
> My quite precocious three year old daughter has become interested in
> taking photographs. I am willing to experiment and get her a digital
> camera of her own (I shoot film, but for obvious reasons feel she
> should not). Does anyone know of a digital camera that is very easy to
> use, maybe with nothing more than a viewfinder and a big button. Or
> possibly with the ability to set it on 'super-auto' mode. The Barbie
> camera requires a serial port which my computer does not have, and it
> looks particularly lousy. I'm perfectly willing to spend a few hundred
> bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.
>
> Any advice? Thanks
>
> -Josh

i picked up a digital cam from walmart last christmas for 20 odd bucks.
(actually i picked up two, one for each kiddo) both cameras didn't last
long but i did find out if they were even interested in photography.

cheers
kat
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 9:58:51 PM

"Josh" <jayelwin@gmail.com> wrote in news:1121804195.869326.295670
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> My quite precocious three year old daughter has become interested in
> taking photographs. I am willing to experiment and get her a digital
> camera of her own (I shoot film, but for obvious reasons feel she
> should not). Does anyone know of a digital camera that is very easy to
> use, maybe with nothing more than a viewfinder and a big button. Or
> possibly with the ability to set it on 'super-auto' mode. The Barbie
> camera requires a serial port which my computer does not have, and it
> looks particularly lousy. I'm perfectly willing to spend a few hundred
> bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.
>
> Any advice? Thanks
>
> -Josh

I have an older Kodak DX3500 that I have turned my 3yr old nephew loose
with several times. He has a blast and actually gets a few good photos.
The key here is it is a very siple point and shoot. No zoom, fixed focus
2.2 megapexel camera.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 12:39:41 PM

Mike wrote:
> I have an older Kodak DX3500 that I have turned my 3yr old nephew loose
>with several times. He has a blast and actually gets a few good photos.
>The key here is it is a very siple point and shoot. No zoom, fixed focus
>2.2 megapexel camera.

My first camera was a Kodak Instamatic that came as a promotion
Kodak and Scott paper towels offered around 1972. You got it for about
$1 shipping, plus several proof-of-purchase things from paper towel
rolls. It was a very bare-bones Instamatic - but very sturdy and great
to learn on and see if you even were interested in photography beyond
the take-pictures-of-family level.

Browse this gun show for FREE! Shop the
http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 8:30:05 PM

I bet it was a Kodak Pocket Instamatic 20 ???

!