Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected

bruce T

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Hello,

My laptop shows the following message when I turn it on-
Realtek PCIe FE Family controller Series v1.19(08/10/09)
PXE-EGI-Media test failure,check cable
PXE-MOF-Exiting PXE ROM

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

I am using a Dell Inspiron N5010 with windows 7 OS.

My BIOS boot priority:
1st boot Hard Drive
2nd boot cd/dvd/cd-rw drive
3rd boot USB storage
4th boot Diskette drive
5th boot eSATA
6th boot Network

Please help. Thanks.

shaunod

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Nope its not that, in your bios you have set the network adapter to boot from Pxe. it can be a rom chip on a network card, this type of system is used for what we call terminals, where when it comes to booting and loading an OS it is stored on a master server.

In anycase your boot order is set wrong with in your bios, and more than likely you will find in the boot order that the network card is listed at 1. You need to change it so that your HDD is set to one. The test by the way had to do with checking an network cable that is plugged into the device. so if there is not one connected,then you will see the error like you are seeing.
Also there will be an option to boot from ethernet/ Nic rom turn it off in the bios also.

bruce T

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
I just noticed that when I entered the BIOS. Under the main tab it says "None" for "Fixed HDD"! I don't know much about computers but doesn't mean that the HDD is perhaps dead or disconnected?