Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SLI 560ti or wait for 6 series?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 6, 2012 4:18:02 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to improve my system where I can and I'm not sure which to do. My current specs are:

-Biostar A870 (doesn't have SLI)
-Phenom II X4 B50 @3.71 ghz
-EVGA 560ti SC
-XCLIO 500watt PSU (pretty sure I'd need to upgrade)

Anyway I game at 1920x1080 but some of the newer games get frames in the 40's, not bad but I prefer higher and I wanna be somewhat future proof. Do you think I should grab another PSU, mobo, and 560ti, or wait it out and see if a 670 or 660 would work on my current specs? Also, would my processor bottleneck either of those setups?

More about : sli 560ti wait series

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
April 6, 2012 4:44:43 AM

I suspect that your cpu is adequate for your needs. No other amd cpu will do better.

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

Your psu is weak for a 500w unit, and will probably not be good enough for a stronger graphics card or configuration.

If your cpu is adequate, why not just sell your GTX560ti and replace it with a single strong card like a 7970 or a GTX680?
Either of these cards will run on a quality 550w psu. It will be cheaper than replacing the cpu/motherboard/psu AND a second GTX560ti.
April 6, 2012 5:57:43 AM

Thanks for your advice. The FPS does increase alot when I turn down the settings, so I'm guessing my CPU isn't the problem. I thought it might have been because I heard Skyrim was more CPU intensive, and I get dips to around 27 FPS in towns. Most other games run great maxed out except for crysis which also gets dips. I guess it does make more sense to wait for a single 670/680 though so I won't have to upgrade CPU.

Another reason I was considering a new mobo was because mine is only am3, but if no other amd cpu will do better I guess its just better to wait for my next fresh build and go intel since I've heard alot of crap about the bulldozer series chips.

Thanks for the help
m
l
Related resources
April 6, 2012 5:57:51 AM

Best answer selected by member9999.
m
l
April 6, 2012 6:09:09 AM

member9999 said:
Hello,

I'm trying to improve my system where I can and I'm not sure which to do. My current specs are:

-Biostar A870 (doesn't have SLI)
-Phenom II X4 B50 @3.71 ghz
-EVGA 560ti SC
-XCLIO 500watt PSU (pretty sure I'd need to upgrade)

Anyway I game at 1920x1080 but some of the newer games get frames in the 40's, not bad but I prefer higher and I wanna be somewhat future proof. Do you think I should grab another PSU, mobo, and 560ti, or wait it out and see if a 670 or 660 would work on my current specs? Also, would my processor bottleneck either of those setups?

Either buy another 560ti so you don't need to upgrade for quite some times or just wait for the Nvidia 700s or the radeon 8000s. No need to upgrade your GPU every new generation.
m
l
!