Best Digital Camera for a 3 Year Old?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 19, 2005 5:21:36 PM

My quite precocious three year old daughter has become interested in
taking photographs. I am willing to experiment and get her a digital
camera of her own (I shoot film, but for obvious reasons feel she
should not). Does anyone know of a digital camera that is very easy to
use, maybe with nothing more than a viewfinder and a big button. Or
possibly with the ability to set it on 'super-auto' mode. The Barbie
camera requires a serial port which my computer does not have, and it
looks particularly lousy. I'm perfectly willing to spend a few hundred
bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.

Any advice? Thanks

-Josh

More about : digital camera year

July 19, 2005 6:58:57 PM

Josh wrote:
> My quite precocious three year old daughter has become interested in
> taking photographs. I am willing to experiment and get her a digital
> camera of her own (I shoot film, but for obvious reasons feel she
> should not). Does anyone know of a digital camera that is very easy to
> use, maybe with nothing more than a viewfinder and a big button. Or
> possibly with the ability to set it on 'super-auto' mode. The Barbie
> camera requires a serial port which my computer does not have, and it
> looks particularly lousy. I'm perfectly willing to spend a few hundred
> bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.
>
> Any advice? Thanks
>
> -Josh

You can get usb to serial adapters that often work with cameras.

Photography is more about composition than pixels.
I'd worry about finding something that she can hold easily.
Go visit a camera store and let her hold a bunch of 'em.
Small hands can be a problem for some.
Don't underestimate the value of a diopter adjustment on the
viewfinder if she has less than perfect vision.
And, of course, the obvious...if the lens sticks out, it'll get
busted off.
Then there's the whole attention span issue.
Photography is a lot more interesting when you can see what you just
did. That begs for a LCD on the camera. Next best would be a system
where she could get the pictures out without help. Last week's pix
aren't very interesting.
(I've got exposed film in the fridge that's 30 years old.) If she has
to ask for help to get at the pix, interest won't last.
A setup that discourages printing pictures will save you a LOT of ink money.
And if you decide to go the older/cheap route, stay away from cameras
that run on 9V batteries.

I have an IClick pro5X. Runs on AA batteries, Internal memory plus
SD slot, USB, very lightweight, flash, small easy to hold, focus free.
Takes the best 640x480 pictures that I've ever seen from a 25-cent
garage sale camera. Disadvantage is that it has no lens cover, but it's
well recessed.

Aptek makes some pencam cameras that take OK pictures (by ok, I mean
something a kid can play with). Problem is that they are ram-based and
the batteries run down in a few days losing all the pix.
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
July 19, 2005 8:37:37 PM

In article <1121804496.443865.90860@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Josh" <jayelwin@gmail.com> wrote:

> My quite precocious three year old daughter has become interested in
> taking photographs. I am willing to experiment and get her a digital
> camera of her own (I shoot film, but for obvious reasons feel she
> should not).

> Any advice? Thanks
>
> -Josh

I'd be scouring garage sales. That's where my Kodak DC4800 is going to
be in two months. Personally, having just sent a 3-1/2 year-old out
the door, I wouldn't do it. Likelihood of it being dropped by Kid is
very high and that'll be hell on the optics. JMNSHO.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com&gt; 7/8/05 WeBeJammin'!
July 20, 2005 1:37:57 AM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>I'd be scouring garage sales.

Or eBay; always LOTS of barely-used digicams there at very
attractive prices being sold by people who just had to move up to the
latest. Other possibility is that OfficeMax sells a variety of
very-inexpensive, low-capability digicams in the $20 range that might
be ideal for a three-year-old.

No $4 to park! No $6 admission!
http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 5:07:22 AM

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:58:57 -0700, mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:

>Josh wrote:
>> My quite precocious three year old daughter has become interested in
>> taking photographs. I am willing to experiment and get her a digital
>> camera of her own (I shoot film, but for obvious reasons feel she
>> should not). Does anyone know of a digital camera that is very easy to
>> use, maybe with nothing more than a viewfinder and a big button. Or
>> possibly with the ability to set it on 'super-auto' mode. The Barbie
>> camera requires a serial port which my computer does not have, and it
>> looks particularly lousy. I'm perfectly willing to spend a few hundred
>> bucks, and would buy one used if it has what I'm looking for.
>>
>> Any advice? Thanks
>>
>> -Josh

Kodak fixed focus CX7300. $84.95 refurb on
Kodak web site. They may still have free shipping.
I bought one. Not a bad camera for the money. How
well it will stand being dropped is another question.
You'll need a Secure Digital card or use a USB
connection to use the camera's internal memory.
I'd suggest the former along with a card reader.
This is really about as cheap as you can go and
have anything that will take a half way decent pic.
Stock up on rechargable batteries as these cheap
Kodaks "eat" batteries pretty fast, especially if the
LCD is being used. On the other hand where else
can you buy a half way decent 3 megapixel camera
for less than a hundred bucks?

Jerome Bigge
Photographer and Astronomer
Author of the "Warlady" & "Wartime" series.
Download at "http://members.tripod.com/~jbigge"
!