Solved

I7 3770K vs i5 3570K, 'future-proof' / gaming

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of deciding on a new build and I have the choice between an i5 3570K 3.4Ghz 3.4Ghz Overclocked to (4 x 4.5GHz) and an i7 3770K Overclocked to (8 x 4.6GHz).

I am going to use the build primarily for gaming and I realise that the i5 scores marginally higher due to games not utilising the hyper threading ability of the i7 but I am also concerned with making the rig future proof.
I don't mind shelling out an extra R1000 (less that $100) for an i7 if it means that I won't need to upgrade for a long time and it would be a plus if gaming began to make use of ht in the future.

My dilemma is that I feel I may be doing myself a disservice now by not going for the i5 but I feel like I may kick myself in the future for not having an i7.

So, i5 or i7?
There is such a wealth of knowledge and experience on these forums that I'm sure I'm gonna end up with more doubts and concerns but hopefully a bright soul can put me out of my misery :)

Many thanks
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 3770k 3570k future proof gaming
  1. HT won't be more future proof.
  2. Best answer
    The 3770k will likely be obsolete before a significant proportion of games ever starts making significant use of more than four cores.

HT only gives 20-30% extra performance. If i5-3570k starts feeling slow, it is unlikely that HT would be enough to save your i7 and you would end up itching for an upgrade anyhow. Might as well set aside that extra ~$100 for the inevitable future upgrade 4-5 years down the road.
  3. Unless your doing lots of encoding then HT wouldn't be taken advantage of. Especially in gaming. Definitely the i5.

I'd take the extra money and buy a better GPU or other component that you'd find more benefit from.
  4. InvalidError said:
    The 3770k will likely be obsolete before a significant proportion of games ever starts making significant use of more than four cores.

HT only gives 20-30% extra performance. If i5-3570k starts feeling slow, it is unlikely that HT would be enough to save your i7 and you would end up itching for an upgrade anyhow. Might as well set aside that extra ~$100 for the inevitable future upgrade 4-5 years down the road.

+1 I was too lazy to type a proper response :D
  5. Best answer selected by NWCave.
  6. Thanks folks, will go for the i5.
    I'm already getting a GTX680 so I'll probably be mature about the $100 and not spend it :)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gaming Intel i7 Intel i5