GTX 480 Blank Display on Bootup

failghost

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Hey all,

Just upgraded to 2x GTX 480 SLI setup. I was previously using a 550ti and this issue did NOT occur.
When booting up, my system will occasionally not show display; just a blank screen.

I was wondering if this is a known issue with 480 SLI setup, or if this is something that can be fixed? Just recently got the cards, so am I needing to RMA here?

Feel free to poke and prod for additional information and I will make my best attempt to answer said questions.

-Tyler

Current Setup:
3.3-3.7ghz i5 Sandy Bridge
128gb SSD
2x 250gb Western Digital HDD Raid 0
2x EVGA GTX 480 SLI
Maximus IV Extreme Motherboard (Rev.3)
1000w Gold SilentPro PSU

failghost

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

There is absolutely nothing. Screen is asleep, as if no input is coming through. Sometimes it boots fine (I'm using it now). Other times, it won't boot (with image) at all. If I keep attempting to boot it eventually kicks up. If I let it sit for a while, it goes to Windows (I believe), as when I press the power button it takes a while for it to shut down.
I am using an HDMI to Mini-HDMI cable, which has proven to work in the past - does this card or any cards rely on DVI when SLI?

On a side note:
I just disabled the other two PCI-E x16 lanes I am not currently using.
I just verified everything was connected - everything seemed solid to begin with.
Reseated RAM. Again.
Disabled a switch for LN2 functionality (not 100% sure what this is, but it was enabled).

My motherboard does support a debug feature. I will get back with the error codes next time the reboot fails. I'm usually just too frustrated to try and read it. =(

Sorry for the block of text, but thank you for anyone who reads and attempts to help!

Thanks,
Tyler