New build, looking for feedback

Aerithan

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Hello, this'll be my first build; I've received some tips and information from various people and have switched things up a bit, but I'm quite happy with how it has turned out - I'd just like some final input to see if everything is compatible

-http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9smh

I'm aiming for a build that'll be able to run the most recent games at, or close, to max settings. Thank you in advance!

Solution
Home Premium will work just fine if you're gaming. Pro and Ultimate just have some features that you will never use if the pc is only for gaming. The only thing is that max RAm is 16 Gb. If you plan on getting more than that then get Pro (you will really not need to though).

If you're serious about SLI'ing that gtx 670, I would recommend getting a 750W PSU. Might as well get it now rather than changing your PSU when you do decide to get one.

l0v3rboi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I would get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. Moves more air and is cheaper. If you're worried about loudness, I have it and its not really loud at all.

Stick with Seagate Barracuda or WD Caviar Blue.

Rest of your choices looks good to me.

Aerithan

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
All right, I've messed with it a bit (I did change up my HDD, grabbed a Barracuda; most of it was just some research) and I've got this now:
-http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9szi

I do just have two questions, however: For an OS, I've heard that I should grab the Windows 7 Ultimate package, but then I've heard that it is overkill (I suppose it's not much unlike getting 16GB of RAM if I'm just going to be gaming*) and that I should just grab the Professional, or even the Home Premium edition; any additional input on this would be very much appreciated!

And I may SLi sometime in the future: Other than the PSU, is there anything I should change so that my system is all but ready if I do decide to?

*I won't be running Photoshop or any of that, it'll mostly just be video games. Although I may begin running FRAPs at some point, just to record videos for myself and my friends; so I won't be running any fancy video editing or rendering software - but still, would that mean going with the Professional or Ultimate editions a better choice?

My apologies for all the questions, and thank you again
-Aerithan

l0v3rboi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Home Premium will work just fine if you're gaming. Pro and Ultimate just have some features that you will never use if the pc is only for gaming. The only thing is that max RAm is 16 Gb. If you plan on getting more than that then get Pro (you will really not need to though).

If you're serious about SLI'ing that gtx 670, I would recommend getting a 750W PSU. Might as well get it now rather than changing your PSU when you do decide to get one.

Solution
G

a quality 650 watt is ENOUGH to sli two gtx 670s!
power_maximum.gif

Aerithan

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Wonderfully quick and helpful responses, l0v3rboi, thank you!

I'd say that the most RAM I'll probably ever get (and at that I probably won't even NEED all of it) would indeed be 16GB, so outside of the RAM limitations... what exactly are the differences between Home, Pro, and Ultimate? I'll admit that I've done very little research into OS's, when I begin to look into them I can't help but wonder what the hell all of it is for!

Thank you again, sir
-Aerithan

Aerithan

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Brilliant, Nafoni, that's more than I could've asked for; thank you, and all that have replied!

I believe that'd just about cover everything then, still switching up the case and I will grab a different PSU... but nothing I can't handle :p

First time really visiting TomsHardware, but I can already say that this'll be one of the first places I come to for computer issues - thank you all again!
-Aerithan

nafoni

Honorable
May 18, 2012
As someone else stated before me, definitely get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler. Really is the best-value CPU cooler at the market.

Also ask yourself if you will be needing a 256GB SSD. 128GB should be plenty in most situations. You really don't want your games to be chewing up your SSD space - loading times will still be pretty quick with that HDD. OS and most used apps will never eat up 128GB.