ALLOT of questions

ahmed0770

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
Hello every one,
in advance i apologize for my lack of knowledge in these matters ..thats why am here ..i have allot of questions and i hope some one can answer me ...here it is.

Am building a new gaming PC right now and am doing it step by step depending on my pay checks ..
right now i have :

Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 motherboard and its an ATX factor
also gut the intel core i7 3770K Ivy Bridge cpu with the stock fan
8GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3
also just gut the GS700 Corsair PSU with 700W

what am planning to get :
XFX HD7950 Double Dissipation BLACK with 3GB GDDR5 ram

here is a link to this GPU on the site where am buying my stuff from (its Dutch) :
http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/XFX/HD7950_Double_Dissipation_BLACK_(FX-795A-TDBC)/982168/

i have allot of questions so i dont expect any one to answer them all so please tell me what you know

1- am kind of new and i went with a friends advice on the stuff i have ...what do you think of the motherboard and CPU i have for hardcore gaming?? it wasn't cheap that's for damn sure..and i know i bought good stuff, but did i make the right decision buying the mentioned above components ??

2- is the GPU mentioned above good enough for over the top HARDCORE gaming??

3- can that GPU overclock ?? is it even worth it to overclock?? and is it risky to overclock ???

4-what kind of HDD should i get with something around 70euros (about 80 dollars) ???

5- is it worth it to get an SSD?? what does it actually do ???

6- what kind of operating system should i get ??there is a win7 home for 70euro and there is a win7 pro for a 100euro ..is there a huge deference for a person like me who is going to game allot ???

7- do i need to buy special cooling for the CPU instead of the stock one ??(again am only gaming and browsing internet, may be some homework with office and photoshop but no more)...

8- do i get more ram or is 8GB good enough for gaming ??????

i thank any one in advance who takes the time to read all this crap i just wrote ,,,THANKS :hello:

pauls3743

Distinguished
I'll answer what I can.
1. I can't speak for the motherboard but the processor is overkill unless you plan to do video/picture editing. The i5-3570K has more than enough horsepower for any serious gamer.

2. You should be able to max out most if not all games with that GPU.

3. You can download a tool called evga precision OR MSI afterburner to overclock the card, it'll overclock, other may be able to give you some idea of how far.

4. Nothing wrong with a good 1TB Western Digital

5. If you can afford it an SSD is worth it. It doesn't give a boost in performance but it does reduces loading times and make your system much more responsive. Most gamers will run their OS and main programs on the SSD with their steam folder and other large games on the hard drive.

6. Nothing wrong with 7 Home Premium, just make sure you install 64-bit. Pro is more geared toward business people with domains and people who want to remote desktop.

7. Only if you want to overclock. It would be stupid of intel to supply a cooler which couldn't handle the processor at stock speeds and temperatures.

8. You can run all games with 4GB of RAM, 8Gb just makes sure you have a bit more leeway when you want to run multiple applications. Any more is overkill.

CRAP?? nothing wrong with asking questions, it's how we all learn. I just hope I haven't fed you a lot of drivel.

ahmed0770

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

LOL ...thanks mate ...i really appreciate your help ...the CPU kinda is an overkill, but i have an older PC right now and when i try some thing like 3D max just to make a small interactive object , it takes me about 6 hours to render ...thats why i went for a good CPU ...

any way ,,,that was very helpful have a nice day

the i7 shouldn't be needed since its performance over the i5 isn't much but the price is significant. In gaming, the performance is exactly the same so there really is no reason to get it if thats your main purpose of the computer.

The motherboard is a bit overkill but its a nice board.

SSD is worth simply from the saving you get from not buying an i7, your loading and general responsiveness of programs on there is just much much better.

windows 7 home premium should be all you need.

If you want the buy the k series CPUs they are designed to be overclocked, you should consider a different fan and heatsink to do that since the stock ones suck. If you don't want to OC, the stock fans are fine.

ahmed0770

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

it kinda is ...but am the kind of person who has a mentality of "get it good or DONT get it at all" ...i really liked the motherboard and the features it has ...and the CPU was kinda an overkill for gaming but you have to consider i also do some editing and 3Dmax projects for school and some times just for fun ...so i think am kinda good with the stuff ....
thanks for the answer it helped allot ..

even then, the i5 should have plenty of power to do all that. The i7 is more for people who needs it professionally that helps them with better rendering times where time is money. The if you render something that takes an hour on the i5, its still going to take 55 mins on the i7.

ahmed0770

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

you see my friend ... i bought it in an "upgrade kit" recommended by my friend ,, although he mentioned to me its kinda an overkill for a gaming system i still gut it cause it wasn't as expensive as i thought .....any way it doesnt even matter more ,.i already gut it and am not planning a change or a return ...

here is the Kit i mentioned ..check it out

http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/ALTERNATE/Upgrade_Kit_Asus_SABERTOOTH_Z77-i7-3770K-8GB/1016291/?tk=7&lk=4850

TRENDING THREADS