Status
Not open for further replies.

Jgogo

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I have a Lenovo Idea centre k210 (not new whatsoever) and do not have a graphics card on it. I want to know what graphics card is good that a guy with a low disposable income can buy. The main specs of the desktop:

Intel core 2 duo E7200 @ 2.53 Ghz
4 GB RAM
has a ~230W PSU
(I am using integrated graphics right now)
Also using a 1280x1020 LCD display.

I want to play decent graphic games. ex: I have a game called supreme commander and want to try it out.(and never got to because of the lack of a graphics card), and for post production (sony vegas) that can run it faster than the integrated card. any retail store would be nice.

Solution
Gah, sorry. just noticed your PSU. It won't support a GTS 250. You'll need a card that's very low power, the GTS can draw over 200w @ load by itself.

Without buying a new PSU, you could try something around a radeon HD 6670 or Geforce GT 440. They're about $75, and they draw about 65 watts.

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

That game is awsome and was kinda intensive for its time but I'm not sure your PSU could run any GPU. If your willing to play old games like that one and can get 500-600$(cheaper if you don,t buy a new case) for a new PC it might worth it.

If you realy just want to add a GPU to your existing set-up you might have to buy a new PSU ass well. But I don,t low a lot about realy low power usage graphic card someone else might prove me wrong.

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Honestly any graphics card that came out in the last 4 years can play that game.

For nvidia cards their model numbers give you and Idea of performance

For example Take the nvidia 8400. The 0s mean nothing. The 8 is the card series. The 4 represents its performance level. Typicaly you'll see 4 6 and 8. So 8400 8600 8800. Each card is at least twice as powerfull as the card below it. the 8400 is the everday graphics with some light games. 8600 is decent games with great everday work. 8800 is just awsome everything.

In newest cards are now only 3 numbers long. Don't worry they just dropped a zero when the reached the 9000 series.

So my point is when shopping nvidia brand cards this will help you pick a card.

Typicaly any 6 level card with satisfy you gaming and work needs. So go take a lookt at

9600 gt
260 gt
460 gt
550 TI

In order from oldest to newest.

For low budget check out this list of best cards for the money to help you pick a card inside of your desired price range.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Most are ATI cards becuse they tend be be priced lower than nvidia to compete in the market. Don't be dissuayed by that they are excellent cards and I use one myself.

Gah, sorry. just noticed your PSU. It won't support a GTS 250. You'll need a card that's very low power, the GTS can draw over 200w @ load by itself.

Without buying a new PSU, you could try something around a radeon HD 6670 or Geforce GT 440. They're about $75, and they draw about 65 watts.

Solution
A GTS250 has a single PCIE power connector. That means that, at most, it might draw 150W (75W from the PCIE slot, plus 75W from one 6-pin connector). You do need a stronger PSU than 230W to power it, but a 380W Antec Earthwatts would be sufficient.
Your PSU may be enough for a HD6670, but a safer choice is probably a HD6570.

Jgogo

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Ok! thanks for the advice, and everyone else. ;)

Jgogo

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Ok, I know you know your stuff, but on the box it says to have a 400W power supply (recommended) or better. I am afraid to put this in, and think it will over heat or something like that. I just want to make sure that it will not damage anything. :??:

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
The 400w watts is like a guidline or recomendation. What really matters is how many amps on the 12v rail. If your 20 watts up or down it doesn't matter as long as you have over 20 amps on the 12v rail you can run most graphics cards. And if i needs to much power the card will not power up all the way and will give you a long constant warning beep. you won't damage anything if your powersupply is to small. They have undervoltage protection on these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.