Administrative vs Standard user logic?

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Could someone please explain to me why a "Standard User Account" can change the directory locations of folders to another drive, change the drive indexing options etc., but has to get an "Administrative" password to open "Real Temp" on the desktop?

What am I missing here?

It sounds like "Standard User Account" user, is not actually a "Standard User Account" user, sounds more like an administrator account.

In what context is this? Is this a home network? Corporate? It's hard to give an answer with so little information.

What are you trying to do? Normally an administrator account allows you to install drivers/programs/apps, etc. What is this "real temp" is that an executable? As in an install file? If it is that's why you would get a password verification under standard user.

As a standard user not on a domain - you will definately have more options than a standard user on a domain (which would have GP pushed down to the user).

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

I'm trying to understand why a standard user can change the configuration of the computer without admin privileges but they need admin privileges to open a simple app to monitor the CPU temps.

I guess its because as you say its an executable file. The logic seems odd.

The changes being done are quite minor, in case of indexing - all that does is puts all the files names/information in 1 spot so it is faster for searching for certain things (if you have indexing on).

As for changing the directory locations of folders - that depends. If the standard user created a folder - then can move it wherever they would like since they "own" the folder.

As for your app to monitor CPU temperatures - it may require some kind of system change, or access to a system file/folder which would require admin priviliges. Different programs react differently to standard and admin accounts. Some require passwords, while others will happily run without admin access.

Straight from the horses mouth:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-use-a-standard-user-account-instead-of-an-administrator-account

Why use a standard user account instead of an administrator account?

The standard account can help protect your computer by preventing users from making changes that affect everyone who uses the computer, such as deleting files that are required for the computer to work. We recommend creating a standard account for each user.

When you are logged on to Windows with a standard account, you can do almost anything that you can do with an administrator account, but if you want to do something that affects other users of the computer, such as installing software or changing security settings, Windows might ask you to provide a password for an administrator account.