No Post Reboot loop Rampage Extreme IV 3960x

mybadomen

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Hiya guys i am trying to follow the guide to the best of my ability to ask for help.

System Specs:

CPU:i7 3960x Sandy Bridge E
Motherboard: Asus Rampage Extreme x79 (2011 socket)
GPU's: x2 Sapphire 7970's
Memory: 16 Gig Quad Channel Corsair Dominators 2133 C9 1.5v
Power supply: Cougar 1050w PSU

Problem:
I had this complete build running perfect and was using it daily for a couple weeks. but i had a Rampage Formula x79 board in the build. I decided i wanted to upgrade the Motherboard to the Rampage Extreme x79 so i bought a brand new one and switched everything over. Carefully of course. I installed the CPU with a EK Nickel / Plexi HF Supreme CPU block newest Rev 2011 socket ready and used MX4 Thermal Paste in the x pattern as recommended.Leak tested the loop first of course and then went on to install windows.

The board cam right alive and i started to install windows but noticed a pop through my speakers that never happened with my Rampage Formula board and it kinda concerned me. Anyway i got windows all installed and my drivers everything besides the pop at every reboot was fine.At this point i went into the bios and changed my ram from 1333 to 2133 9.11.10.27 which is where the ram always ran and is now running in my i5 setup at the moment. Anyway i hit F10 to save and reboot and the build never Posted again? I tried everything tried 1 stick of ram reset both bios's Reseated CPU and looked for bent Pins. Nothing everything was fine.But i get a code 10 and the system just keeps rebooting.

Here is where it gets really tricky and bad for me.

I went ahead and switch boards back to the Rampage Formula that i was always running until i switched boards.Now my Rampage Formula board does the same exact thing.Code 10 and reboot loop? This makes me thing i got a defective board and it somehow cooked my thousand dollar CPU.That i don't have a warranty on any more. I did RMA the Motherboard since it was 1 day i had it but looks to me like i lost the CPU.

Thats why i am here. I am hoping you guys can give me some insight to maby this could be a bad PSU or something?I think its very strange that it would just die like that but anything is possible. Also both boards are almost identical from the Rampage Formula IV to the Rampage Extreme IV so i really didnt have to change much in the case.It was basically just pull the old board and plug in the new.

Here is my Opinion of what happened and its just an opinion:

I think the new Rampage Extreme board i got was bad and somehow was overvolting my CPU whenever i rebooted.But there is a slight chance something else could be wrong? At least i am hoping and that's why i am here.

Any ideas or Opinions would be highly Appreciated before i dump another $1,000.00 on a CPU i really cant afford.

Thanks

MybadOmen

Solution
I think that you should contact Intel and try for an RMA even if you may have technically voided your warranty. Explain to them what happened and as long as there's no physical damage to the CPU they may replace it. Intel is usually pretty good about taking care of their image
did you steal my computer?

The Rampage IV Extreme had a few firmware problems that necessitated a couple of updates. It's fine as of revision 1305 though from what I can tell. Use the NVRAM clear button on the back panel to reset it to factory defaults and work from there. It'll run at 2133 easily

The cpu has a three year warranty with Intel and while the 30 day return may be up I would think that you can still RMA it back to Intel. What is code 10?
Were you overclocking the cpu?
I had the Asus Rampage 111 Extreme and the Intel 980x cpu and when I was overclocking I got the same pop that you are describing and the only thing is I don't know if it's exactly the same as yours. I did end up sending the board back for another and the cpu was not damaged so that's why I said I don't know if it's exactly the same. The board worked fine untill it was overclocked so I think that has something to do with the pop. I ended up just going with the preprogramed overclock instead of the manual settings where you do it yourself. Even with that it eventually started doing it again and did another rma but this time when I got it back I sold it on E-Bay and got a different brand of MB. The 980x is still working though.
I think that the pop does have something to do with the voltage and if your pop is different from mine and is either louder or stronger then it could have damaged the cpu. That means that the voltage regulator on the MB is not working right and/or the bios chip is defective. If you have another psu you can try it to see if it makes any difference.

mybadomen

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
No as stated i was just installing windows on a brand new board. I tried resetting everything and the CPU no longer works in the Formula build.So no idea. I already sent the Rampage Extreme back to newegg because anyone would be crazy to place another CPU in the board. I was just thinking maybe possibly the PSU? It does power up and all my pumps and fans etc come on but no post and then it reboots after a few seconds. (I am speaking the CPU now back in the formula board where it was working Perfect before trying the Extreme board.

So i am thinking of trying the PSU but its huge work to get all that out of the build since its fully liquid cooled with dual 7970's also on water. Trying to think of a way to try another PSU without tearing everything apart but my 360 rad uptop is to close to the power connector to try a PSU without tearing it down.

Just really bites it was a great CPU in the Formula and ran 4.5 on all 12 Threads and was Validated at 5Ghz on 12 threads. So for it to die just installing windows on a new board is really a shame. $500. upgrade ended up costing me $1500.

Reason i cant RMA he CPU is its Intel Confidential chip that i got from someone who wanted the newer rev 3960x

It's probably not your PSU or your CPU. Every Asus board I have had (and I have had a great many) have had some sort of problem which causes them to get stuck in POST cycles due to compatibility issues. After a few months they always manage to iron the kinks out via firmware updates but until then its a constant game of cat and mouse

mybadomen

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Yeah but that dont fit this situation.I have 2 boards here. The Formula that was working 100% and the Extreme that i was going to replace the Formula with as just an upgrade. The CPU works in neither build now after whatever happened in the Extreme.

Right now i have the Formula all back together .Water cooling and all leak tested. So i am trying to think of what else to do.I decided already tomorrow that i am going to spend every last dime i have just to get another CPU the 3930k which is a real shame because i shouldn't have to but i need to get moving because this is a Sponsored build.Obviously not by Intel or this wouldn't be an issue :)

Did you try flushing the NVRAM to reset the firmware? My RIVE would get stuck on boot code 0x62 if I so much as plugged in a mouse while the PC was off. I had to reset it a ton of times. There was also a firmware update specifically for the 7970 to fix a few problems with it. Do the following for me on both boards before you give up:

1. Test with a single, non-XMP DIMM that has only JEDEC timings in the SPD (IO bus no higher than 1333). Put this in the 4th slot in order to force default memory settings (I'm not sure if this applies to SBE's quad channel architecture but its worth a shot). Asus's firmware is very sticky, sometimes a part needs to be swapped out

2. Try booting it with a different video card than the 7970s. If you don't have another one use the PCIe slot power switches to disable all but the top PCIe slot

3. Setup the basic system outside the case on an insulating material (cardboard or wood) with just the CPU, memory and a single video card

4. Use a USB stick to force-flash the firmware to the latest revision. This does not require the system to POST. This can sometimes be used to revive a board that has been bricked. See the manual for more information.

mybadomen

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Yeah problems solved guys.Well not really solved as i had to buy a new 3930k which bums me out.I was so happy and excited to own a 3960x and then have a faulty board eat it really was a bummer, anyway bought the new CPU and all's good with the Rampage Formula .There was no way in hell i was putting it in that defective Asus Rampage Extreme i bought. newegg was kind enough to do the RMA and pay shipping both ways including overnight on the new Rampage Extreme which will be here tomorrow which is perfect timing because my ekwb Rampage motherboard blocks , Ram blocks ,Cpu blocks Rads,reservoirs and 2 D5 setups all are already here.I know the 3930k is basically the same as the 3960x but as Extreme as this build is it don't feel right with a 3930 in it. But i cant dish out another $1,000.00 for a CPU i already bought once :(

Thanks guys for the help but there was nothing wrong.Simply got a bad Asus board and it fried my CPU in minutes. Besides that everything i running great.

Again thanks for the help guys and keep watching for the build .I should be Posting a build log in a couple weeks. Main Sponsors on this build so far are Dimastech , ekwb, Plextor, Mnpctech, Primochill and some others.
I will share it on Tom's Hardware when its ready but might be a while as i am currently doing 3 Sponsored builds.

Take Care Guys,

MybadOmen

Oh also made a cool Little Photo of my Rampage Formula IV Board using Photoshop. The CPU block on the board in the Photo was just temporary as i use only ekwb blocks. (Hope you Like it ,New to Photo Stuff)

599349_456866954341796_465283190_n.jpg

I think that you should contact Intel and try for an RMA even if you may have technically voided your warranty. Explain to them what happened and as long as there's no physical damage to the CPU they may replace it. Intel is usually pretty good about taking care of their image

Solution

mybadomen

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Well problem is solved. Bought a new CPU 3930k and RMA'd my Rampage Extreme IV and have a new Paperweight dead Intel 3960x and both Asus and Intel both refuse to help. Oh well $1,000.00 gone in a matter of 1 weak and not a darn thing i can do against huge corporations like Intel or Asus. I also did see i wasnt the only one that lost there CPU the same way from the same board. The other person on the review Lost 2 CPU's in the same board the same day.Lol trying to install windows like me. Great boards and CPU's when they work but if you get a bad on you are going to eat the money. I now have the same setup besides no longer can run the 3960x and it runs rock solid with a new board. Now i still need to buy another 2011 socket CPU for my other Rampage Formula board :( .. Lol expensive Hobby and even more expensive when you get defective parts.

Thanks for the help guys . You were all very nice and Helpful. Much appreciated.

MybadOmen