Sign in with
Your question

Possible issue with PSU

Last response: in Components
October 1, 2012 11:26:46 PM

Today I got a new case and as I finished Putting everything inside I quickly learned that my PC wasn't properly turning on. The CPU and case fans spin for a second, then stops soon shortly after. My motherboard is still receiving power though as the OC and Power button remain lit. After doing some diagnosing, I realized that the issue may be my PSU. I realized that one of the new screws I used for my PSU may have been the issue because it was a bit longer than my previous screw. I unscrew it and learn that the screw scraped a small part of the edge on the board inside the PSU. Is this scrape the possible culprit of my issues or could you guys consider something else?

More about : issue psu

a b ) Power supply
October 2, 2012 12:18:33 AM

Is the CPU fan plugged in? That will do what you are experiencing. Its a fail safe to keep the machine from booting when it can cook it self. For that matter, I think it works the same for power connections, I would check USB pins on the headers on the mobo if you use them, or make sure any floppy power connector (if you use them) are correctly oriented.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 2, 2012 1:16:17 AM

check that the mb not grounded out to the case or the i\o shield. also check your video card..there an issue with the msi video cards...on front page of toms hardware...some msi video cards cause some system not to post. i would try with just the onboard gpu and the mb on the desk and see if you get some video.
m
l
Related resources
October 2, 2012 1:30:32 AM

My motherboard wasn't grounded apparently. Maybe I've always been very lucky since I've never had to use the brass standoffs, but either way it worked. Thank you both for the quick replies.
m
l
October 2, 2012 2:53:05 AM

I am now facing the common 5 second powering cycle then reboot. I've tried stripping my pc to barebones (MB on cardboard box with MB power, CPU power1 stick of RAM and PSU). Still no changes. Even removed battery to try and reset CMOS. Could this be a ba PSU? Any suggestions?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 2, 2012 2:57:15 AM

ollyfff said:
I am now facing the common 5 second powering cycle then reboot. I've tried stripping my pc to barebones (MB on cardboard box with MB power, CPU power1 stick of RAM and PSU). Still no changes. Even removed battery to try and reset CMOS. Could this be a ba PSU? Any suggestions?

Sounds like a dying PSU, a friend just had this problem, a 3 to 5 second boot then off. He changed the PSU and the PC works just fine.

If you can, try to plug another PSU to your Pc.
m
l
October 2, 2012 3:47:57 AM

Is it possible that the small chip on the board inside the PSU caused this? Everything was working fine minutes before I changed cases.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 2, 2012 8:30:30 AM

make sure you plugged in the right connector into the 4/8 pin atx power and not the 6 by 2 pin connector. also check to see if any wires are pinched or cut. if it not a bad power supply then something is shorting out the mb.
m
l
October 3, 2012 12:32:15 AM

So I've tested the voltage on my PSU and everything seems to be producing the correct amount of electricity. Any ideas what's causing this?
m
l
!