Sign in with
Your question

An idea of mine - What do you guys think?

Last response: in Systems
June 4, 2012 10:11:13 PM

Hey guys.. Just looking for some advice before I go and spend my hard-earned money.

Was wondering what you all thought of this potential build?

A barebones kit from Tigerdirect.com :

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

and this graphics card :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I know, I need 3 fans for the case, as it only comes with 1, and the OS.

I plan to upgrade the RAM later on, and maybe the dvd burner to burn Blu-Ray.

The total is about $1,360.

How well would it run some high end games? I know the GPU is fine, but I want to make sure it'll do everything else, like The Witcher, BF3, and such.

Thanks in advance - also open to tips.

Reply with any questions.

-Mike

More about : idea mine guys

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
June 4, 2012 10:19:05 PM

I would price the parts and combos separately

and I'd buy a GTX 670 with a better cooler . That single fan stiock cooler works , but there are far better options that run much quieter
m
l
June 4, 2012 10:22:36 PM

Outlander_04 said:
I would price the parts and combos separately

and I'd buy a GTX 670 with a better cooler . That single fan stiock cooler works , but there are far better options that run much quieter

I see - but can I get one with the same specs? That's by far the best GPU i've seen for the price, and I really want it. I don't mind the noise, but that's just me.

I've also done that - a computer with the same Processor/MB, but 16gb of RAM as opposed to 8gb, and 1tb more HDD was about 400 dollars more.

m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 4, 2012 10:29:37 PM

By any chance u don't live near microcenter, do u?

And by listing parts with a single price can get u better price, as some guys here have the latest prices that u might not be aware of.
m
l
June 4, 2012 10:33:14 PM

nikorr said:
By any chance u don't live near microcenter, do u?

And by listing parts with a single price can get u better price, as some guys here have the latest prices that u might not be aware of.

Not that I'm aware of - There is a Fry's Electronics across town, but their prices are a bit high, being as their only a few miles from the strip, and right next to Town Square. (Tourist Trap here in Vegas.)

For the Specs, I found that this was the best build for the money.

But I'm open to suggestions and such.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 4, 2012 10:51:36 PM

The only thing that seems off is that PSU in the kit, which is apparently a hit or miss on reliability. Have you tried assembling the same parts individually to see how much it costs outside of the combo?
m
l
June 4, 2012 11:02:08 PM

moornix said:
The only thing that seems off is that PSU in the kit, which is apparently a hit or miss on reliability. Have you tried assembling the same parts individually to see how much it costs outside of the combo?

The total of all the parts separately is $702.93, before tax. And as far as I've read, everyone says it's a good PSU.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 4, 2012 11:04:31 PM

miketfromlv said:
Not that I'm aware of - There is a Fry's Electronics across town, but their prices are a bit high, being as their only a few miles from the strip, and right next to Town Square. (Tourist Trap here in Vegas.)

For the Specs, I found that this was the best build for the money.

But I'm open to suggestions and such.

Hey, I shop at Frys too, they will match the lowest price. So, if the part is death, just bring it in and they will exchange.

The only thing is, they have a limited choices.
m
l
June 4, 2012 11:09:44 PM

nikorr said:
Hey, I shop at Frys too, they will match the lowest price. So, if the part is death, just bring it in and they will exchange.

The only thing is, they have a limited choices.

I've had good luck at Frys, and bad luck. For example, I went there, the whole 12 mile journey across town to get a GPU for my computer. I asked for a Low-Profile card, being as I have a slimline case currently. The guy's like "Oh yeah, this is low-profile, right here."

I was like "Uhh, no it's not."

His response "Yes, it is." and he checked me out.

As soon as I get home, I open the card - it wasn't low-profile, it was full sized.

Had to make the drive allll the way back, and exchange, just because of some salesman.

But I guess I can't let one experience ruin them all, right?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 4, 2012 11:12:38 PM

miketfromlv said:
The total of all the parts separately is $702.93, before tax. And as far as I've read, everyone says it's a good PSU.

I see. The PSU doesn't have any professional reviews and is not 80+ certified, which makes me question it. It shares a similar label with the Ultra LSX 750, which has good reviews and certification. Anyway, the rest of the parts seem great. If you want to buy the combo to save $50, it's your choice.

m
l
a c 93 B Homebuilt system
June 4, 2012 11:56:29 PM

moornix said:
I see. The PSU doesn't have any professional reviews and is not 80+ certified, which makes me question it. It shares a similar label with the Ultra LSX 750, which has good reviews and certification. Anyway, the rest of the parts seem great. If you want to buy the combo to save $50, it's your choice.

Yeah you're right to question that PSU - Ultra is another brand I just can't get behind as they produce a ton of crap. Tiger Direct is not what they used to be pre-Comp USA merger - they've gone drastically downhill since then. I tried building a system on their site the other day and gave up because their solution didn't match even a 1/10th of what Newegg offers.
m
l
June 5, 2012 12:17:09 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Yeah you're right to question that PSU - Ultra is another brand I just can't get behind as they produce a ton of crap. Tiger Direct is not what they used to be pre-Comp USA merger - they've gone drastically downhill since then. I tried building a system on their site the other day and gave up because their solution didn't match even a 1/10th of what Newegg offers.

Hmm.. i'll call and see if they can mix and match parts. Worth a try.

m
l
!