Sub 400 gaming rig

qarano

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: within a couple weeks

Budget Range: no more than 450, but the less spent the better

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming*, general pc usage

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, os

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, but any reputable dealer will do.

Parts Preferences: none

Overclocking: As much as can be done on such a low budget, but I don't expect much

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: 720p currently, plan to upgrade to 1080p soon (running through a small lcd tv right now)

Additional Comments: This is where the '*' on gaming comes in. I'm not a major graphics whore. Honestly, I just want something that will be able to play current games at or just above console levels, and will be capable of playing newer games for the next 5 or 6 years. Can it be done?

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Incredibly unrealistic expectations of a $400 computer.

You either need to increase your budget or accept the fact that buying the cheapest computer humanly possible is not going to be a capable gaming rig today much less be one for half a decade.

[Edit] I just noticed you've asked this question at least half a dozen times in the last year. I'm sorry that you don't like the answers you get, but asking the question again won't change the facts. If you want a gaming rig, you have to pay for it.

You are not going to get a future proof system for $400. You are not going to get decent gaming performance for $400, not even at 720p and the lowest settings. You are not going to be able to play games five years from now with a bottom of the line card from today.

Think about it. If I were to take a $60 card from five years ago, like the 8300 GS, and tried to play one of today's games with it, what do you think would happen? It's the same thing you're trying to do, you're just running the clock in the other direction.

Open your eyes and read what people are telling you. You are asking the impossible.