7950 Crossfire Issues

AnToN_CheZ

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Ok guys, haven't been able to locate this problem, maybe someone can help.

I have 2 7950's, one reference and one non reference, both Sapphire.

When running in Crossfire, the reference card, even on the desktop after freshly booting, runs at an INSANE temperature. Talking 80-85C sitting on the desktop, and it slowly climbs up from around normal temps to where the fan is screaming.

When running 3DMark11 I have to stop the bench after around 15 seconds due to the reference card hitting 95C at stock speeds. I have run 6950's in Crossfire before without any of these similar issues.

For some background, I have a 2500K, which I put back to stock for problem solving purposes, an AsRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 M/B, and a Coolermaster 750W PSU. My non reference Sapphire has performed flawlessly. I was trying all sorts of driver packages but all seem to do the same thing, no matter the version. The non reference runs on the top 16X slot and the troublesome reference card runs on the bottom slot.

I will need to try running the reference card on its own to see if it displays the same behaviour as when it is in crossfire.

Also, the reference card has just been returned from RMA as repaired, as it was showing artifacts on the desktop at stock speeds. Could this card be just stuffed or is there something else I can try before I throw Crossfire out the window. I'm only using it because I am finding it hard to sell. I only intended on running the OC Sapphire card until I got stuck with the reference one also. Thought I might as well put it to use while I have it.

Hope someone can shed some light on this

welshmousepk

Distinguished
from personal experience, i would avoid using non reference cards in multi card setups. the way they flush air back into the case is never good in those setups. you'll probably find this is why the other card is overheating.

if you can, switch/sell/trade for another reference card.

AnToN_CheZ

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Well, after some trial and error, I have located the problem with the reference card. 3 loose screws and a broken heatsink bracket can be blamed for the sky high temps. So I have asked for another RMA, which was granted. I just wish they would give me a damn refund instead of sending me cards back. $60 in postage costs over 2 failed cards, and the cost of the replacement card (also Sapphire) while my faulty one got 'repaired' and it's starting to get a bit costly and frustrating. The first time they refused my refund request, I wonder what will happen now that it's a second time problem. We'll see I guess.