DELL 745s, again...

MrG007

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Hello,

I've been searching through the forums, and general consensus is that the DELL Optiplex 745, can have a CPU upgrade...

I'm currently using a 745, with a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Temperatures are good, 30s when Idle, and 40s with some moderate work. That was a "test" upgrade to see if/how things went..

However I'm wondering if an Intel Quad extreme would work in this girl,

Chances are, and I read that a QX6700 will work in this PC, but what if I put in a QX6800?, still the Kentsfield family, and running at 1066FSB/2.9GHz

I also note DELL have very kindly done a BIOS update in July of this year, but I'm wondering what that's for, (apart from sorting a few bugs!)

Any comments ?

MrG.

MrG007

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
G'day

I've a DELL Optiplex 745, it's currently running quite happily with a Q6600 2.4GHz, and temps are in the mid 30s when idling... mid 40s when doing medium work. good news..

Now, has anyone popped in an extreme cpu?

I understand that a QX6700 will work, being the Kentsfield 0.65nm family. 2.66GHz

What if I go for complete bust, a QX6800, same family, but at 2.9GHz ? anyone tried it ? FSB is the same at 1066, which is probably the max this girl can go at. Incidently, I've popped in some 6400 RAM as got some cheap, so that helps...

I also note that DELL have been very nice, and Just released a BIOS update 2/7/2012 - 2.6.6

Yes, I know there's more heat to get rid of, and perhaps a PSU to upgrade, what PSU fits in an Medium size form?

Any comments ?

Mr.G

Judging by the current prices of that proc on ebay I would have to say an astounding no, 200 bucks just is FAR FAAAR to much money to invest in a system that old, sure they can stand up with some of the lower end models of now but at 200 bucks you can get an i5, add about 50 more for mobo + 20 for ram and you have a current system.

festerovic

Distinguished
Unless you have the chip already, or its free, it's not worth bothering with. You're not going to see any real improvement by switching chips. I believe the qx6800 is 2.8 or 3 ghz. We're 4 generations past this series q6xxx, so it may be time for a new machine. As to whether you can, yes you can. All the q6xx and e6xx series (the 65 nm ones) will work.

Here is the info sheet on your machine:
http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/opti_745techspecs.pdf

As to power supply, which form factor is your machine? Not sure what medium is... the pdf above shows all the official names. And you should be able to use a regular ATX psu in all but the Ultra case.

MrG007

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012

Thanks Proximon, something strange happend when I posted, It said the board was busy, come back later, but posted anyway. Hey ho... live and learn.

Mark

MrG007

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Guys, Thanks for the answers, I was 90% sure it was a go...

Yes, one could go up market, and go for an i-core, but I don't have that sort of money to waste on chinees clone motherboard etc, (been there, done that) so prefer to stay with the branded stuff as it's what I use at work, and has been very reliable from a hardware point of view.
I will perhaps err on the side of caution as the Extremes are bit power hungry, but will go for a Q6700, Daughter can then decide late if she wants bleeding edge ££££ PC. with more MIPs than...

Many thanks/73