Need an Average Price

Chibinho

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Hi, I need to know an average and Fair Price for my computer. Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB
RAM: 6GB DDR3
HDD: 3xHDD- 250GB; 500GB; 80GB (All SATA II)
Drive: DVD RW Writer
Periferals: Wirelees Mouse and Keyboard, Webcam
Screen: 1280x1024 Flat Screen
Cooling: Custom CPU Fan, 2xChassis Fans
PSU: 550W

I've been building this pc for 1 year and a Half. started with a Pentium 4, 512MB ram and Nvidia 6200 LE. this is it's final State. Also, it's my first fully made by myself. With the money I won from Part-Time jobs. But Now i'm moving to an University, and i Must sell it. But I'm not sure for How much i should sell it. Where I'am, it's a Super Hardcore PC. Most of people here are still Stuck with P4, and some P3 Systems. So, for how much should i Sell It?

Thank you in Advance. :)

Solution
My assessment may sound like a low blow, but this is based on my recent experience selling my own computer with similar specs.

It would likely fetch $500 USD or less on eBay, if you have a local buyer who really wants it I would say $1000 would be a good asking price but if you get offered more than $500 I would take the offer.
By asking $1000 you weed out the people looking for a super cheap PC that they will only use for web browsing. Also, you also make the computer seem more valuable to those who aren't immediately turned off by the price and they will likely offer $600-750, haggle a bit to humor them but don't scare them off by being too firm. Your system is dated, top-of-the line for 2010, but by what you say others have for...

noreaster

Honorable
May 30, 2012
My assessment may sound like a low blow, but this is based on my recent experience selling my own computer with similar specs.

It would likely fetch $500 USD or less on eBay, if you have a local buyer who really wants it I would say $1000 would be a good asking price but if you get offered more than $500 I would take the offer.
By asking $1000 you weed out the people looking for a super cheap PC that they will only use for web browsing. Also, you also make the computer seem more valuable to those who aren't immediately turned off by the price and they will likely offer $600-750, haggle a bit to humor them but don't scare them off by being too firm. Your system is dated, top-of-the line for 2010, but by what you say others have for computers it retains a lot of value by comparison.

Solution

noreaster

Honorable
May 30, 2012

I would normally agree, but the price I am willing to pay for technology and the price people will pay are quite different. I am always amazed at the sales I make on eBay, sometimes above retail for an auction item :sol: never underestimate the power of ignorant shopping.

And based on their assessment of the typical computer in the area, the system is quite decent by comparison. Even for my area (North East US) that computer would probably put to shame 80% of computers, simply because most computers are meant for browsing the web and sending email/word processing. For the gaming community, it would still satisfy all but the enthusiast or hardcore gamer, I'm sure it will play WoW, CoD, BF3 on acceptable settings (medium @30fps) which constitutes a large majority of the gaming community.

noreaster

Honorable
May 30, 2012

The part I think we commonly underestimate is the fact that most people will not look online to see how much they can build a system for, and most people are not adventurous enough to even think to attempt such a thing. Nearly every person that sees my computer, and its not overly flashy, notice there is no big DELL/HP/etc stamped on it and ask where I got it, and when I tell them I built it they usually don't believe me at first or think I'm some super genius.
Even if someone did look up each component to see what they could build it for they would probably be willing to pay someone $20/hr (plus $50 initial of course) if they knew what all was involved; add in $150 for windows and $150 for office home and business...you easily have $500 in value to the customer.

noreaster

Honorable
May 30, 2012

eBay all the lazy/ignorant shoppers at your fingertips my friend :p (not to mean that all people who shop eBay are lazy/ignorant)

Chibinho

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

yes, in fact, today, i could build something better. but here, the parts are scarce and old. I ordered some parts from other countries. I guy thinks that i'm some sort of wizard. they ask what is the brand, and i always say, It's homemade. and they all start saying: "no way". i think the starting Price could be around 800$00. but if i get something more than 500, i will take it. just a little comparison: A PC here, that has A dual Core, and 2GB DDR2 ram. +a integrated video card, like, GMA 3100, sells in official Computer stores around 800$, 900$. or even more. But i'm not a but person. i just need to get rid of my pc to get a new one when i move. Thank you all guys.

Chibinho

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

and yes, it's top line for 2010, i know. bu since here parts are scarce and expensive, i couldn't get better. for example, we still don't have i7 here. if i need one, i'll have to order from portugal. i were happy with my pc, but, now, I have to upgrade as soon as I move. Personally, i'm a casual player, but i wouldn't mind playing in FullHD (Not 3D fan, not yet), and everything maxed out. but anyway, thanks guys. I will set my base price around 800$00.