Sign in with
Your question

Building a Gaming/Design PC

Last response: in Systems
June 4, 2012 5:26:37 PM

I'm looking to build a new rig for graphics design (3dsmax, photoshop, UDK, TES:CS, etc). As well as handle games out now and for awhile to come. It doesn't have to be a bulk purchase, I can buy a few parts every pay check or so if need be, would like to try and keep it at a max of $1200, less of I could.

I'm not really picky with brands so, graphics brands don't matter to me, nor do CPU brands.

More about : building gaming design

June 4, 2012 5:49:03 PM

For production (design) you would want:
* 16 GB RAM
* at least a Quad Core, preferably with HyperThreading (aka an i7)
* at least 2TB of HDD space
* preferably a 3 monitor setup (22-24" size, each running at 1920x1080) for lots of workspace, 2 screens for starters

For gaming:
* at least a 7850 or GTX 560TI graphics card
>>> I recommend a 7950 or GTX 670, those would be better for gaming on 3 screens (even though you could simply choose to game on just one screen and work with all three, ofc)

As it currently stands going AMD (CPU) is more or less pointless, even considering price/performance ratio.

Since you want to add over time, I'd say go with two (identical) screens at first and add a third one later. This would also be awesome for gaming, besides the workflow advantage. You could also wait with the graphics card to get a good one right away.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 4, 2012 11:35:40 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Video Games to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 5, 2012 12:51:46 AM

Teuflisch said:
I'm looking to build a new rig for graphics design (3dsmax, photoshop, UDK, TES:CS, etc). As well as handle games out now and for awhile to come. It doesn't have to be a bulk purchase, I can buy a few parts every pay check or so if need be, would like to try and keep it at a max of $1200, less of I could.

I'm not really picky with brands so, graphics brands don't matter to me, nor do CPU brands.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic... <---- copy & paste this on here please.
m
l
!