Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

I bought Fable for $19.99 used the other day and I'm finding myself
engrossed in it. Much better than I'd been led to believe. I may pick
up the PC version for the extra missions it's supposed to have.

Jonah Falcon

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Oh, okay then. I'll stick with the XBox version.

Jonah Falcon

Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

The 360 HD is pre-loaded with Fable compatibility. There's a list of 50
other titles Microsoft is considering as well.

As for the list of 360 Only games being moronic hack and slash or PC
ports... let me know when you get a chance to play Project Gotham. It's
been an Xbox title since 2001 and the PC folks are still waiting for
that one...

- Jordan

Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Yeah, right... The highest rated PC racing title is NASCAR Racing 4 and
it can't hold a candle to console games. Don't confuse having better
steering wheels with having better games.

- Jordan

Jonah Falcon wrote:
> I bought Fable for $19.99 used the other day and I'm finding myself
> engrossed in it. Much better than I'd been led to believe. I may pick
> up the PC version for the extra missions it's supposed to have.
>
> Jonah Falcon

If you like the game I suppose you'll like the "Lost Chapters", but in
my opinion it had the most "do it quick and slap it on" feel that I've
ever experienced. The Lost Chapters are short, and in the end you fight
the exact same guy you fought at the end of the main game, except he's a
dragon now! I can just hear the discussion of the developers... "It's
too short for any new story elements... let's bring back the guy they
just killed, but we'll make him a dragon this time!"

I can hardly wait for Fable II. The end boss is Jack of Blades again,
but this time he's a giant hamster...

jonahnynla@mindspring.com wrote:
> Oh, okay then. I'll stick with the XBox version.
>
> Jonah Falcon

I didn't mean to put you completely off it. It is more of the same if
you are enjoying the main game...

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 17 Sep 2005 16:48:40 -0700, "Jonah Falcon"
<jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:

>I bought Fable for $19.99 used the other day and I'm finding myself
>engrossed in it. Much better than I'd been led to believe. I may pick
>up the PC version for the extra missions it's supposed to have.
>
>Jonah Falcon

On a related topic, since you cross-posted the message to both the
Xbox and PC groups....

Got your pre-order in for your Xbox360 in yet ?

Oops, I forgot --- you will have to download an "emulation profile"
to the +$100 diddly hard-disk ( what a rip-off...!! ) if you ever want
to play your Xbox copy of Fable on it... if/when an "emulation
profile" is ever made available.....

I'll stick with my PC thanks very much. Anyway, the initial list of
Xbox360-ONLY games seem like a bunch more of the usual
moronic teenage hack 'n slash.......... All the really good ones
seem to be going to be ported to the PC too... Oblivion etc.

John Lewis

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Yeah, right... The highest rated PC racing title is NASCAR Racing 4 and
> it can't hold a candle to console games. Don't confuse having better
> steering wheels with having better games.
>
> - Jordan

Yeeehaw! NASCAR!

Andrew

On 17 Sep 2005 22:45:51 -0700, "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote:

>As for the list of 360 Only games being moronic hack and slash or PC
>ports... let me know when you get a chance to play Project Gotham. It's
>been an Xbox title since 2001 and the PC folks are still waiting for
>that one...

The only console racing series I am waiting (in vain) for on the PC is
Gran Tourismo.

John Lewis wrote:

> On a related topic, since you cross-posted the message to both the
> Xbox and PC groups....
>
> Got your pre-order in for your Xbox360 in yet ?
>
> Oops, I forgot --- you will have to download an "emulation profile"
> to the +$100 diddly hard-disk ( what a rip-off...!! ) if you ever want
> to play your Xbox copy of Fable on it... if/when an "emulation
> profile" is ever made available.....
>
> I'll stick with my PC thanks very much. Anyway, the initial list of
> Xbox360-ONLY games seem like a bunch more of the usual
> moronic teenage hack 'n slash.......... All the really good ones
> seem to be going to be ported to the PC too... Oblivion etc.

So this must be where you son, steamkiller, must have learned how to hijack
threads.

On 17 Sep 2005 22:45:51 -0700, Jordan wrote:

> let me know when you get a chance to play Project Gotham. It's
> been an Xbox title since 2001 and the PC folks are still waiting for
> that one...

If I had ever heard of the game, I might even be envious.

M.

Thusly Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>> let me know when you get a chance to play Project Gotham. It's
>> been an Xbox title since 2001 and the PC folks are still waiting for
>> that one...
>
>If I had ever heard of the game, I might even be envious.

Somehow, I don't think that was the response Jordan wanted.

FWIW, I've heard of Project Gotham, but I'm not waiting for it.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:28:19 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thusly Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:
>
>>> let me know when you get a chance to play Project Gotham. It's
>>> been an Xbox title since 2001 and the PC folks are still waiting for
>>> that one...
>>
>>If I had ever heard of the game, I might even be envious.
>
>Somehow, I don't think that was the response Jordan wanted.
>
>FWIW, I've heard of Project Gotham, but I'm not waiting for it.

Eh, Batman RPGs? I'd play it if there was no Robin. Or perhaps if there
was a way to horribly kill him.
--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

rogerm

Andy Richardson wrote:

> PCs also blow away consoles in RTS games.
>
> Andy

Yup, that's the biggest advantage for PCs. RTS games are an untapped resource in
console gaming.

"RogerM" <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Andy Richardson wrote:
>
>> PCs also blow away consoles in RTS games.
>>
>> Andy
>
> Yup, that's the biggest advantage for PCs. RTS games are an untapped
> resource in
> console gaming.

That is true but since I can't even think of an RTS game on a console, I
didn't include it. I always thought that was a given. You can't do RTS
without a mouse and Keyboard.

"Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote:
>That is true but since I can't even think of an RTS game on a console, I
>didn't include it. I always thought that was a given. You can't do RTS
>without a mouse and Keyboard.

I think you can...

(1) Voice command would be MUCH easier for an RTS. "Tank division,
attack the missile silo." "Infantry, support tanks." At the moment you
have to mess about with selection rectangles and groups and formations
and there are too many commands.

(2) The new Nintendo Revolution controller is a pointing device and so
could be used for conventional RTS controls, in the place of a mouse.

(3) As in Darwinia, I think you can use gestures instead of keyboard,
and instead of clicking on icons for which unit to build next.

--
Lucian

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:46:20 -0600, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>
>> On a related topic, since you cross-posted the message to both the
>> Xbox and PC groups....
>>
>> Got your pre-order in for your Xbox360 in yet ?
>>
>> Oops, I forgot --- you will have to download an "emulation profile"
>> to the +$100 diddly hard-disk ( what a rip-off...!! ) if you ever want
>> to play your Xbox copy of Fable on it... if/when an "emulation
>> profile" is ever made available.....
>>
>> I'll stick with my PC thanks very much. Anyway, the initial list of
>> Xbox360-ONLY games seem like a bunch more of the usual
>> moronic teenage hack 'n slash.......... All the really good ones
>> seem to be going to be ported to the PC too... Oblivion etc.
>
>So this must be where your son, st*******, must have learned how to hijack
>threads.

And you forgot how not to attract S********r.............. I have
altered your last sentence above to avoid auto-triggering his
wake-up calls.

Rule #1 with s***k************* Always substitute other
letters for his name in any quote or reply, otherwise
s**t88e***a8m*k***i**ll**e88r filters don't work............

John Lewis

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

>On a related topic, since you cross-posted the message to both the
>Xbox and PC groups....

>Got your pre-order in for your Xbox360 in yet ?

Yes, and my computer is currently being repaired due to a blown mother
board. I have to pay $400 to repair it -- coincidentally the price I'm
paying for the X360. Incidentally, I'm trading in the XBox itself with
it, so I'll pay less than that.

Jonah Falcon

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> once tried to test me with:

> "RogerM" <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Andy Richardson wrote:
>>
>>> PCs also blow away consoles in RTS games.
>>>
>>> Andy
>>
>> Yup, that's the biggest advantage for PCs. RTS games are an untapped
>> resource in
>> console gaming.
>>

> That is true but since I can't even think of an RTS game on a console, I
> didn't include it. I always thought that was a given. You can't do RTS
> without a mouse and Keyboard.

Herzog Zwei?

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

rogerm

Mattinglyfan wrote:

> "RogerM" <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Andy Richardson wrote:
> >
> >> PCs also blow away consoles in RTS games.
> >>
> >> Andy
> >
> > Yup, that's the biggest advantage for PCs. RTS games are an untapped
> > resource in
> > console gaming.
> >

> That is true but since I can't even think of an RTS game on a console, I
> didn't include it. I always thought that was a given. You can't do RTS
> without a mouse and Keyboard.

Well, the keyboard is not essential, since an RTS game can be played with
just the mouse. Not as well as the combination, but well enough.

The big problem is selecting troops. Pikmin (on the GC) did a decent job of
this, though the unit types were very limited. I still think a decent scheme
can be devised using a standard console controller.

Red Alert: Retaliation was on the PS1, but it certainly had some control
issues.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 18 Sep 2005 22:53:33 -0700, "Jonah Falcon"
<jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:

>>On a related topic, since you cross-posted the message to both the
>>Xbox and PC groups....
>
>>Got your pre-order in for your Xbox360 in yet ?
>
>Yes, and my computer is currently being repaired due to a blown mother
>board.

How come?

> I have to pay $400 to repair it -- coincidentally the price I'm
>paying for the X360. Incidentally, I'm trading in the XBox itself with
>it, so I'll pay less than that.

So... cough... what are you going to do with all your Xbox games that
will never have emulation profiles? Or maybe you only have the
mainstream games like Halo, Halo2 and Fable...........

John Lewis

>Jonah Falcon

Blue

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> ׫Œ‘ì¶à]¼þЄ:Xns96D5CD06DCB3Fknight37m@130.133.1.4...
> "Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> once tried to test me with:
>

>> "RogerM" <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>>> Yup, that's the biggest advantage for PCs. RTS games are an untapped
>>> resource in
>>> console gaming.
>>>

>> That is true but since I can't even think of an RTS game on a console, I
>> didn't include it. I always thought that was a given. You can't do RTS
>> without a mouse and Keyboard.
>
> Herzog Zwei?

Whoa! that's a very old one, and a very good and fun one....my very first
RTS experiance.

> --
>
> Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
>
> Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

jlc

"blue" <blue@blue.com> wrote in message news:432e1ee9$1_2@news.tm.net.my...

> "Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> ׫Œ‘ì¶à]¼þЄ:Xns96D5CD06DCB3Fknight37m@130.133.1.4...
>> "Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> once tried to test me with:
>>

>>> "RogerM" <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>>> That is true but since I can't even think of an RTS game on a console, I
>>> didn't include it. I always thought that was a given. You can't do RTS
>>> without a mouse and Keyboard.
>>
>> Herzog Zwei?
>
> Whoa! that's a very old one, and a very good and fun one....my very first
> RTS experiance.

Same here. Me and my nephew would play Zog for hours at a time, sometimes
tell 4 a.m. We even had a term for how our eyes looked after 6 hours of game
time. We'd called it having "Zog Eye". To this day I've never had the same
excitement I had back in those days playing Zog. The game would get me so
stressed out that it would take me over an hour to recover after playing. We
still talk about the game even after all these years. One of the greatest
two player games ever made IMHO. JLC

TRENDING THREADS